Another SPCNS registration change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another SPCNS registration change

The CARB smog referee decided my car should meet requirements from 1965 rather than 1960, even after I pointed out that my vehicle most closely represents a 1960 Seven because Lotus changed from cycle wings to clamshells in 1960-61. He said it didn't matter, because all cars in his jurisdiction must now have a PCV valve, so everything coming through there gets assigned 1965 or later. Not too big of a deal functionally, but it blows my mind how a law is enacted by the state, and then a state official does not follow it.

I wonder what would happen if I had gone in with a car that "does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle"? Because the law specifically states,
    "In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall
    compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most
    closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to
    any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble
    a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only
    those emission control systems that are applicable to the established
    model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its
    present form."
    It seems to me that if any other year were assigned to such a vehicle, the smog referee would be in violation of the law.
    SOURCE: California Health & Safety Code Section 44017.4.(a)(2)

Oh well. :rolleyes:
    | | Sean

My recollection is that California required cars to have a PCV valve back to 1960.

We had many pre 1965 cars as a kid and if it did not have a PCV you had to retrofit one.

My car is designated a 1960 for smog purposes, why, because I requested it at the time. The referee asked me what year I wanted it to be.

Comment

How the referee guy came up with '65 is beyond me. :confused: The Air Resources Board have on their own web page that a PCV was first required in '61, and required on all passenger vehicles in '63. But then, we have discussed this already here. :)

I requested 1960 also, but that request was adamantly denied. But at least I got my plates!
      | | Sean

Comment

They may have changed it. I haven't bothered keeping up with it.

And I assumed it was 1960 for the PCV as that's the oldest you get to pick.

I know I had one on my 1961 corvair.

Comment

I know I had one on my 1961 corvair.
          Doug, I KNEW there was something special about you! My first TWO cars were Corvairs (of 1964 vintage though). :D
          Tom "ELV15" Jones
          http://PIErats.com

Comment

... But at least I got my plates!
            Great news Sean! Let's go for a drive!
            Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Between myself and my brothers we had about 6 Corvairs. 1961 thru 1965.

They are great cars.

Doug

Comment

I have had a couple of Corvairs too. A '60 500 club coupe, complete with gasoline heater. My brother bought it from the book keeper at the local Chevy dealer in '62. He upgraded it with the complete drivetrain, suspension and interior from a wrecked '62 Spyder (turbo) in '63.

I also had a '66 Yenko Stinger, Stage III.
                EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                '14 Evora
                '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Nice, a Yenko Stinger! Cool!! :)
                  Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Working...
                  X