Hello from a new old member!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a new old member!

New old member? That's me. I registered on the forum three years ago when starting the Caterham Odessey, but have not been able to post until now. Doug Liedblad has fixed that. Thank you Doug.

A container filled with a CSR roller, a Sadev SCL82-17, and a 420r spec Duratec 2L arrived late February 2019 to Rich Kamp's shop in Sonoma. Rich rented space and I fitted things together myself. After a long slog with a particular character at the California Bureau of Automotive Repair she was registered as an SPCNS.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I had a run up to the Lick Observatory on Mt Hamilton. I'd done the run many times on motorcycles. It's a great run in a Caterham.
    Last edited by Patrick; June 6, 2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Now, during the quarantine, I'm replacing a leaking radiator with a new warranty radiator. Also a 22% steering rack and some easy adjust upper ball joints.
      Last edited by Patrick; June 6, 2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Many fine roads in the Santa Cruz mountains. When things open up, I'll be down. Thanks John!

Comment

Patrick

Where was the radiator leaking from?

Comment

The driver side (left) lower corner where the weld joins the core, but it's hard to be more accurate. It started out as a moist area collecting dirt and progressed to a steady drip over 8 months. Caterham sent a new radiator based on these pictures. I was using the standard OAT antifreeze as supplied by Caterham.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              Last edited by Patrick; June 6, 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I too had a radiator leak but mine was from where the coolant passages are connected to the upper and lower tanks. Not a big leak just seepage. Mine was after the warranty. I used some Bars Leak for aluminum radiators. Worked fine and has been doing so for over 10 years. I only used about 1/2 the bottle or less.

I used to use a standard antifreeze but switched to Water Wetter when I started doing track days. The standard antifreeze is SLIPPERY if it leak on the track.

Some OEMs use this from new as aluminum radiators are prone to this problem.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Good to know about the Bar's Leak. That probably would have worked. I've heard from a source I trust that radiators are not uncommon Caterham warranty items. I spend a few nights in the mountains each year, so Engine Ice. Sonoma race track allows it, some don't. It's propylene glycol/water, 50/50 I think. It may be easier to wash off the track than ethylene glycol. For the track Water Wetter is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X