Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there!

Hello all,

I've been lurking and reading the forums to learn as much as I can before getting a 7 of own. Always lusted for a Super 7 since I was young so I thought I'd drop by to say hi and introduce myself and hopefully pick up a 7 soon.

I'm from the OC and always loved the minimalist sports car. I had a few other light weight cars in the past but more recently, a Lotus Elise and now an Exige supercharged with a few mods. I do the occasional autox/track day whenever I have time. I browse the marketplace everyday so if anyone is looking to sell their Caterham/Birkin S3, please let me know. I'll make a separate WTB thread on here soon. I'm leaning towards a Superlight or maybe a BEC 7, but really anything nice will do.

I recently sat in a Caterham SV to try on for size but have never been on the road or driven a 7 yet so if anyone in the SoCal area who would like to meet up, please pm me as I would greatly appreciate that. I'll bring the Exige and we can compare notes. Thanks a bunch!

Van

Here's my Exige:
    2014-06-06 11.44.34.jpg2014-06-06 11.48.14.jpg

I'm on the OC/LA border. I'd be happy to meet and let you see how a Birkin fits.

Just saw what appears to be a nice Stalker at a good price over on the Locost list--located in OC: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/view...p?f=40&t=16525

Randall
    Last edited by rzempel; July 17, 2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link Randall, ill check it out but I think I'd prefer the look & lighter weight of the superlight/Birkin.

Comment

I'm in the northwest end of OC. I'm in the final push to get my car street legal so you're welcome to sit in my Locost. From what I understand it's very similar in dimension to the S3 chassis.
        Aaron

2001 CMC Locost Frame/2003 Yamaha R1 w/6spd sequential

Comment

I'm in the bay area (Redondo Beach), and have a race prepped SV that you can take for a drive.

PM me if this sounds interesting.

/Magnus F.

Comment

I want to thank Randall & Magnus for showing me their cars, giving me a ride & taking their time to answer countless questions I had. I'm definitely addicted! You guys have a great tight community here & everyone is so quick to help out & share information.

Magnus, thanks for letting me drive your monster, my senses have yet to recover. It seems I have to recalibrate my brain as to what a 7 can physically do, it's unbelievable! I finally know what you guys mean now when you say that "nothing drives like a 7, nothing"

Btw, does anyone know the history of this superlight R?

https://sfbay.en.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4585851975.html

I'm very interested, but price is a bit high for me. How much should I be looking to spend on something like this?

Comment

Van,

It was a pleasure showing you the SV, and a huge bonus to drive your Exige. I've never driven one before, and while they are not as direct as the Sevens, they do come with things like doors and a roof. The engine sound is to kill for. Steve Wickham knew what he was doing when he designed that engine at TRD.

I don'd know who is selling their superlight. It is nicely specced, although the price is quite high even for a 3000 mile car with a California registration. Give them a call and see if they budge.

/Magnus F.

Comment

[QUOTE=vstryker;18096]Magnus, thanks for letting me drive your monster, my senses have yet to recover. It seems I have to recalibrate my brain as to what a 7 can physically do, it's unbelievable! I finally know what you guys mean now when you say that "nothing drives like a 7, nothing"
                QUOTE]

Yeah, it's alright I suppose, for a truck motor. :-D

Just wait'll you drive one w/ slicks.
                Chris
                ------------
                A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by vstryker View Post

Btw, does anyone know the history of this superlight R?

https://sfbay.en.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4585851975.html

I'm very interested, but price is a bit high for me. How much should I be looking to spend on something like this?
                  I agree with Magnus that the price for this car is high.

If the Avon's came with the car they need to be replaced. Tires get harder just sitting in the garage and if these are original from 2003 don't use them but to drive to the tire store.

There should be a date code on them.

Doug

Comment

You can also, as a bargaining point, claim that the Zetec is a semi obsolete package that cannot go beyond 210 hp without becoming a fragile and expensive power plant.

A 205 hp 2.0 Cosworth Duratec engine switch, which is the modern equivalent, seems to be listed around $10,000 (crate engine only) and can be brought up to 280hp.

/Magnus F.

Comment

For comparison I paid around $40k 6 years ago for pretty much the same car with 4k miles on it.

With only 3k miles on it over 11 years, it would seem it's either had hard track only miles put on it or it has been sitting for long periods of time.

www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                        I agree with Magnus that the price for this car is high.
                        With the eye-watering price(s) for new cars I'm not so sure about that. In that regard the only thing I'm sure of is the fact that I'm quite happy that I got a car when I did. I couldn't afford one anymore, or rather I should say wouldn't. The value equation doesn't work anymore. Not even close.
                        Chris
                        ------------
                        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
                          With the eye-watering price(s) for new cars I'm not so sure about that. In that regard the only thing I'm sure of is the fact that I'm quite happy that I got a car when I did. I couldn't afford one anymore, or rather I should say wouldn't. The value equation doesn't work anymore. Not even close.
                          I based my opinion on what I have seen some similar cars sell for in the past few months. Substantially lower price and similar setups.

I also agree that I could not or would not pay the price of today's Caterhams.

The turbo guys got a lot more power out of the Zetecs without blowing them up left and right but for NA there is not much to get you beyond the 210/225 HP. Maybe it can be done but easier to go Duratec. The Duratec wasn't an option when I got my car.

Comment

So it's actually a car from Kampena motors, a dealer in Norcal. Anyone have experience with these guys?

Comment

Rich Kamp (Kampena Motors) is a one-man shop in Sonoma, CA. Rich restores Elans, Europas and Sevens and builds and services Caterham kits (and I believe he used to be a Caterham dealer/distributer). He has done quite a bit of work on my older Caterham and I can highly recommend the quality of his work. I have personally seen a number of new Caterhams being built in his shop and he is very meticulous. I would imagine that any Caterham that he has built or serviced would have been well done.

Comment

Working...
                              X