NorCal test drive and fit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorCal test drive and fit help

It's been more years than I care to remember since I have had a soft top, 2 door sports car, so when I started considering the options to get back into one, it was always going to be a tough call to resist a Caterham!

As a result, I am a new member to your forum and I am trying to finalize the details for a Seven order and would really like to sit in one or two (it has been 12 years since that happened last) to make sure that I am not missing something vital.

I see a lot of you are in SoCal, but I am in Santa Rosa, NorCal and was hoping that there were some Caterham owners living more locally who could offer some help.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I am in Sunnyvale if you want to drive down for a test fit and a ride.

Rod
    Rod Swanson

Comment

I am in the San Jose area, and also willing to make my car available for test fitting. Please note that my car is set up for a 5'-7" driver (me) and has a shortened passenger footwell, so not well suited for test fitting by taller folks, even as a passenger.
      Last edited by Sean; February 15, 2013, 09:32 AM.
      | | Sean

Comment

Rod and Sean, thanks to you both. I am 6ft, so Sean your car may not work for the reasons you state.

Rod, I am down in the Sunnyvale area pretty regularly, so I will send you a private message and we can work the details.

Thanks again,

Mark

Comment

6 ft. isn't to big for Sean's car, necessarily. Footwell space is probably more important. Bring slippers :-D
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
            6 ft. isn't to big for Sean's car, necessarily. Footwell space is probably more important. Bring slippers :-D
            Would just require moving the pedals, but I'd rather not do that as I like the way they're set up now.
            | | Sean

Comment

I'm in Santa Cruz but come over to the valley often. I'm 6'-4" and have a std bodied car with lowered floors. Happy to meet you for a test drive and fit.

Rod and Sean - maybe we could all meet somewhere for lunch? That way Mark could survey all of the cars?

Tom
              Tom "ELV15" Jones
              http://PIErats.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elv15 View Post
                Rod and Sean - maybe we could all meet somewhere for lunch? That way Mark could survey all of the cars?
                Works for me. My car is on jack stands at the moment, but that shouldn't be for long.
                | | Sean

Comment

Works for me, too, I have a standard car and lowered floors too.

Rod
                  Rod Swanson

Comment

Tom, Sean & Rod,

You guys are creative - I think the saying in a Caterham is something like, " More miles, more smiles"!

As an update, I'm dropping in on Rich Kamp at Sonoma Raceway at the weekend, since it is really close to me and I was hoping To see Rod later next week. I am hoping this will allow me to finalize a configuration. With Tom's info, clearly a 7 will work for a wide range of physical height differences, which is great news.

In the meantime, don't let my geographic distance prevent you getting together for a blat.

Thanks all,

Mark

Comment

Mark - Height isn't usualy the problem in a 7. The width of the car is always a good incentive to keep the width of the driver from increasing. Enjoy your hunt.
                      Still in the massive grin stage. Damn bugs

Comment

My car is back on the road. How did the meeting with Rich go, MarkP?
                        I think I originally misunderstood Moose's suggestion, and realize now that he may have meant you could still sit in a car with pedals in the "short-guy" position like mine is, and just not use the pedals. You would be welcome to sit in my car if you like, and I am located not far from Rod.
                        | | Sean

Comment

Hi All,

Well after some great help from Rich Kamp, who answered a ton of my questions, and then having the opportunity to check out Rod's car one morning last week, I can say that a fit has been established. Now it is the small matter of ordering, waiting, and building before I can get out and enjoy the fun for myself.

Thanks to Rich and Rod especially, but everyone who has contributed in the various pages has helped either in answering small questions or simply demonstrating why someone should get into a Caterham - pure enthusiasm.

Thanks all. I'll let you know how the next phases go...

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X