• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Site Admin
    • Jan 2013

New member, looking for help with fitting

Hi all - my name is Chris and I have wanted a Lotus 7 since I was around 12 years old. I'm finally in a position to buy one now and am looking to start flying around and inspecting cars for sale in the next 3-4 weeks. Before I do that I was hoping to be able to sit in a standard chassis and an SV just to make sure I am looking at the right size car. I don't think a standard car will be too small, but if possible I would like to try out both for size before I start going cross country to look at cars.

I'm in Southern California (Altadena, to be precise) most weekdays - I actually live near Portland, Oregon and commute down here for work. If there is an upcoming weekend event I can arrange to be here with enough notice - just have to explain to the wife why I'm not coming home that weekend.

Thanks!

p.s. - I am pretty much settled on buying a Caterham with a Zetec (or other modern) engine. I've found two of each (standard and SV chassis cars) with this configuration that are currently for sale, although none of them is nearby (they are in New York, Illinois, Colorado, and Massachusetts). If anyone knows of any I'd be interested in hearing about them.
  • Jim F.
    Site Admin
    • Apr 2004

Hi, Chris;
    My forum name is Jim F, having been with the CCC for several years. I live in Grants Pass and have an '02/'03 ITB Zetec powered Caterham that I have almost put up for sale the past couple of years. It's "as new" with ~900 miles on it. Since there's so much info about the car to share with you, let me give you my home phone # and email address. I also have about a dozen or so photos I can email to you and a list of features and specs. Since it's 11:30 PM, why not call me at (541)956-0993 or email me at [email protected] and we can open a discussion. The car is in my garage and available for viewing anytime.
    Jim Fraser
    With Best Regards,
    Jim F.

Comment

• RAC mini
      Site Admin
      • Jul 2006

hello Chris, I live in nearby La Canada, go fiqure, I have a 2005 SV with zetec and you are more than welcome to come by for a test fit and perhaps I can drive over to you so you can check it out.Call or text me @ 818/517/2232, or just respond on the forum. Steve

Comment

• Doug Liedblad
        Administrator
        Site Admin
        • Sep 2003

Chris

If you meet up with Steve sometime let me know and I'll try to bring my standard size for a test fit.

I can generally do it during the week but next week is out.

Doug

Comment

• moosetestbestanden
          Site Admin
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by RAC mini View Post
          hello Chris, I live in nearby La Canada, go fiqure, I have a 2005 SV with zetec and you are more than welcome to come by for a test fit and perhaps I can drive over to you so you can check it out.Call or text me @ 818/517/2232, or just respond on the forum. Steve
          If you choose to take Steve up on his offer I can offer a point of comparison. I'm not far from him and I have a standard Caterham S3, w/ the Tillets seats. The car isn't running (a MAJOR case of upgradeitis that is taking a loooong time to remedy) but that won't alter the fit. It would be a time efficient way to compare the fit of the 2 models.

I'll watch this space.
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

• Chris
            Site Admin
            • Jan 2013

Hi everyone - thank you for the quick replies! I am actually flying home to Portland this afternoon and next week I am traveling all week for work, but will be back in SoCal on Monday, January 21. If we can meet up for a Standard vs. SV premiere that would be really great - I would really appreciate your help.

Jim - I will contact you separately, I would like to talk to you about your car - again, thanks everyone for the fast replies! I can see the culmination of 33 years of longing, research, market watching, pretending lesser cars are smaller and lighter, etc. coming to an end at last and it is really exciting. Thanks!

FYI - my automotive history: Started reading Road & Track in 1977 at age 8, bitten by Seven bug when I saw The Prisoner on TV at 12. Since then I've raced in Formula Fords and Star Mazdas (over 20 years ago now) and this reinforced for me why I needed to buy a Seven at some point - I really love lightweight cars. Past loves include two MGB roadsters (one a daily driver and only car for 8 years), a '72 240z, a '68 Riviera, an NA miata, a 914 and my current "fun" car which is a '79 928. Keeping the Porsche because my wife will not like riding in a Lotus I am almost certain.

Comment

• Lucky Dawg
              Site Admin
              • Nov 2011

If you don't mind going a little North, I am just outside of Seattle and have a CSR you can try on for size. And your wife can talk to my mine for a little unbiased info about riding in a 7 (she likes it).
              Last edited by Lucky Dawg; January 12, 2013, 10:45 AM.
              Still in the massive grin stage. Damn bugs

Comment

• Chris
                Site Admin
                • Jan 2013

Hi all - I am back in LA today through Friday. I'm free all day today and every evening this week - I would be more than happy to come by if any of the local cars are up for a visit.

thanks!

Chris
                p.s. - my 'registered' email got deleted by my domain host when they migrated to a new server last Monday - so if you've emailed me directly and it was ignored or bounced back that is why. I am going to update the forum registered one to a different account...

Comment

• Chris
                  Site Admin
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
                  If you don't mind going a little North, I am just outside of Seattle and have a CSR you can try on for size. And your wife can talk to my mine for a little unbiased info about riding in a 7 (she likes it).
                  Thanks, Lucky Dawg - I think a CSR is out of my price range for now.

Comment

• Lucky Dawg
                    Site Admin
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Thanks, Lucky Dawg - I think a CSR is out of my price range for now.
                    I understand, but the CSR has the SV dimensions, so you can try it on for size.

By the way, there is now a Caterham retailer for the Northwest that you may wish to contact. Info at http://www.uscaterham.com/retailers/retailers.html. Ask him about the new Sigma, it could be in the range you are looking for.
                    Still in the massive grin stage. Damn bugs

Comment

• Doug Liedblad
                      Administrator
                      Site Admin
                      • Sep 2003

The NW Caterham dealer is also a member of the CCC, Brucebe. He just joined a few days ago.

Comment

• moosetestbestanden
                        Site Admin
                        • Oct 2003

Hi chris,

I'm around all week, late afternoon or evenings, and only a few miles away. Feel free to call 818 726 8558. Leave a message if I don't pick up.

Steve should be chiming soon I reckon.
                        Chris
                        ------------

Comment

• Chris
                          Site Admin
                          • Jan 2013

So - big thanks to Chris - he entertained my questions for over an hour and allowed me to try out his standard sized car. I fit fine, my feet fit fine, and I actually like the intimacy of the cockpit a lot. I don't think I need to see an SV, I found the standard fit to be just right. Thanks again - I hope to be posting an update with a car very soon.

-Chris

Comment

• Chris
                            Site Admin
                            • Jan 2013

Well - I am fitted.
                            I purchased Jim F's car after several very pleasant conversations with him about it. Jim is the nicest guy you could ever meet and he has kept his car in really amazing condition. I feel very lucky to have found a car that is so very, very clean, has every feature and option that I wanted (and none of the ones that I don't), that was also within a reasonable distance from my home. I drove down Saturday in my truck and pulled the car back home the same day. You can guess what Sunday was spent doing...

Thanks again for everyone's quick replies here (especially yours, Jim!) I am sure I will be posting endless questions in the coming weeks in the other forums here.

Here it is loaded on the trailer, ready to go:
                            trailer.jpg

And here is the car in its new home:
                            garage.jpeg

Finally, this is a shot taken by Jim which shows just how well he has taken care of it:
                            Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 2.19.04 PM.jpg

Comment

• moosetestbestanden
                              Site Admin
                              • Oct 2003

Well bought Chris, congrats!
                              Chris
                              ------------

Comment

Working...
                              X