Oh Oh, here we go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Oh, here we go....

I did it... I committed to buying a Superformance S1 that was listed on EBAY (Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_620wt_1167 ).

I am going to check it out (in Mississippi) on Sunday. Any s1 specific advice as to what I should look for?

That looks like a nice car. It should be in good shape given the mileage it has.

Some of the zetec owners here can comment on the engine.

I'd just look over the general stuff. Make sure it shifts cleanly (no grinding). Make sure you fit and are comfortable.

You will want to review your options for getting it registered here in CA. It can be tricky. You can search the forum for other registration threads and view the wiki here: http://www.californiacaterhamclub.co...lding.SPCNS100

Are you planning to have it shipped or are you going to drive it back?
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Comment

I'm having it shipped. I'm just crazy enough to buy a Seven... not crazy enough to drive it cross-country!!!

It is titled as a 1965 Lotus, so CA registration should be easy...right? Is there any disadvantage to just leaving the MS plates on it?

Comment

It is titled as a 1965 Lotus, so CA registration should be easy...right?
        Maybe not. In California you need to have 7000 (or 7500 I don't recall exactly) miles on the odometer to import it.

You can try to get a SPCNs number, but they only allow 500 per year.

You can drive on out of state plates, just don't get stopped. They can give you 10 days to have the car removed from the state.

Tom
        Tom "ELV15" Jones
        http://PIErats.com

Comment

I think the 7500 mile thing is for buying "49 State Legal" cars.
          If you go in the DMV with pink slip that says 1965 it will be assumed the mileage is 100,000+ and they're not going to come out and check the car's speedo.
          If they do want to see the car because it's from out of state, you'll have to go to plan B...SB100 because I'm sure there's an ID VIN tag that says when it was built.
          You'd think it would be handled the same way as buying a 65 mustang from Arizona. I don't think they check the car.
          It's worth a shot. But try it quick so you have time to go the SB100 (don't wait for the car to be delivered). You'll likely have to have all that DMV paperwork ready/done by mid-December. Otherwise, you'll be staring at it for a year...
          And, if successful with the 65 Lotus registration, beware you'll be in the league of false "65 Ford Cobras" of which the DMV frowns upon

Comment

Don't want to spoil the fun either....but if you succeed with the DMV you still got to have liability insurance (and may want CC). If you don't count on having them ever pay a claim no problem but if they later see a misrepresentation of the car type they may balk at covering the damage.

I suppose SB100 is the less risky path.

Comment

As a side note, I know there's another one of these running around southern california. I saw a red one at cars and coffee one morning.

Comment

What is cars and coffee... I like both!!

Comment

www.carsandcoffee.info

A big enthusiast car gathering every Saturday morning in Irvine.

Comment

Hope this helps

Hi folks

When I purchased my Birkin from out of State (Arizona) I went to AAA to do the change of title. Southern California AAA offices do out of state transfer Northern Cal Offices do not.

The only thing they were interested in was the vin number on the documents actually matching that on the car.

After doing most of the paperwork the representative came out to the car and just checked the vin number.

They also wanted a millage number despite the fact that I explained that the car was millage exempt due to it's age.

The reason given was that I have a box here that requires a number so I have to have one.

I guess this just shows the understanding of the staff with regard to registration procedures.

We then went back in and I came out with my new plates.

I also insured my car with them at the same time.

I have now registered a number of cars here in Mariposa at the DMV and they require an inspection by the CHP on all out of state vehicles.

I'm presently in the process of registering a Lotus Elise and have to get a smog check on this vehicle.

For those of you who don't know, the area I now live in Mariposa has a smog exempt status so you only need to smog your out of state vehicle when you bring it in to the area. No smog required then until you go to sell it.

I should imagine that things are still the same down there so good luck with your car and welcome to the group.

John Coombs.

Comment

John said:
                      Southern California AAA offices do out of state transfer Northern Cal Offices do not.
                      Good to know. I just assumed that all California AAA services for DMV were the same.

As an aside, if everyone is not aware of it, the $45.00 for a single person basic AAA membership is worth it (to me at least) to take advantage of their DMV service (unfortunately they don't do SB100s). The road service and travel services are a big plus too. I have the Premier membership (about $150/year for a family membership IIRC) that gives 5 road service claims per 12 months (with 2 of them up to 200 miles and the remaining 3 at 100 miles). It's proven to be worthwhile when I ship one of the Esprit's up to Viking Motorsports in Costa Mesa from down here in Escondido for an annual service. It's a 100 mile free door to door tow.

Regarding the DMV and the mileage box on the title transfer paperwork:
                      They also wanted a mileage number despite the fact that I explained that the car was mileage exempt due to it's age.
                      In an effort to thwart falsification of odometer readings (i.e rolling back the mileage on the odometer to read lower mileage than actual) it is mandatory to document the mileage of a vehicle whenever a title is transferred in the state of California. It has nothing to do with the new car "7500 mile" rule.

And:
                      they require an inspection by the CHP on all out of state vehicles.
                      This inspection is an attempt to ensure that the vehicle is not stolen or that it's identity has not been altered.

A CHP inspection can also be required if an in-state car has not been registered or been kept in non-operational status for a period long enough to have dropped off or never been entered into the state's computerized registration database. Again, to ensure that the vehicle is not stolen or that it's identity is genuine. This was the case for my recent '62 Seven acquisition where the car had not been registered in California since 1970.
                      EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                      '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                      '14 Evora
                      '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Working...
                      X