Fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluids

I'm trying to assemble a list of fluids to buy. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

BGH 5-speed gearbox -- don't know, other than GL4 grade
    Differential (limited slip) -- planned to use 75W-90
    Brake fluid -- planned to use DOT 5.1 fluid
    Coolant -- water wetter + distilled water (thanks, Scott!)

edit: Battery -- planned to use the Odyssey PC625 battery.

edit 2: I'll try DOT 4 brake fluid first, and if it proves unsatisfactory, then I'll pony up for DOT 5.1. I think DOT 4 will be fine, though.
    Last edited by Sean-og; December 18, 2007, 11:19 AM.
    - Sean

Fwiw, istr I used:

The blue German stuff (I can't remember the brand) in my brakes.
    Redline synthetic in the gearbox.
    Valvoline 75-90 in the rear end.
    Regular ol antifreeze and water.

Beer / wine / vodka for the nut behind the wheel.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

According to Chris at BGH, use a GL4 semi-synthetic. If a semi-synthetic is not available then use a full synthetic, but not a GL4/GL5 blend. He likes Comma oil the best, followed by Shell, Mobile, Silkolene and Millers. He explicitly recommends against Redline, citing high gear wear on BGH gearboxes that have run that oil.

I was unable to find any of his recommended oils in the US, so in a fit of desperation (needed get the car sorted for PNW2007) I used Redline’s 75W90 GL4. I figured a couple of thousand miles couldn’t hurt, and besides, I’ve used Redline engine and gear oils in my cars for years and have never heard anything negative about them before now. That said, I would like to find one of the recommended oils before I put too many more miles on the car. I heard a rumour that BAT can get the correct stuff, but haven't checked with them yet.

-John
      Westfield SEiW
      2.0L Duratec
      Throttle Steer

Comment

I have an SP Components (SPC) close ratio T9. This is the semi helical gear set made by Quaife for SPC.

Before installing the transmission, I called Steve at SPC. He specifically recommended Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the transmission.

About 17,000 miles on it and no apparent issues.

I did take the top cover off about 2K miles ago and don't recall seeing anything to be concerned about.

Doug

Comment

I was really surprised that Chris felt this way, but he was adamant about not using Redline. He even used all caps!

Given my experience using Redline products over the last 10 years, I am less concerned about using their oil from a durability perpspective, and more from a waranty perspective.

-John
          Westfield SEiW
          2.0L Duratec
          Throttle Steer

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
            Fwiw, istr I used:

The blue German stuff (I can't remember the brand) in my brakes.
            If it is the stuff I have it is Ate blue racing brake fluid. I found it for reasonable money ($8-ish) on AMAZON. Big advantage is it comes in a tin can so will hold up for a long time on the shelf.

Gert

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice; it is greatly appreciated.

So the parts should arrive tomorrow, and final assembly will take place, or at least begin in earnest, over the holiday. I may pose more questions soon...
              - Sean

Comment

My turn to refresh fluids. Lots of varying opinions on Redline: BGH hates, lots of Blatchatters love, Ben Wofford recommends, Jeff Sloan doesn't. Wear concerns dominate the Redline discussion. Some of the discussion seems to be viscosity related. MTL is a thinner oil, which may be good for colder climates (UK, Colorado), and bad for hotter ones (Texas, Georgia). My car currently has Castrol 80W90 in both tranny and diff; I find the transmission is a little balky when cold, especially during the colder months. I'm thinking about Redline's MT-90 instead of MTL, as the MT-90 is a 75W90, instead of 70W80 like the MTL. As to the differential, either Mobil 1, Redline, or Royal Purple 75W90 GL-5 for limited slip applications. Is it necessary to add further friction modifiers to these oils, or is enough already added? Royal Purple says no additions are necessary, but the other 2 say it might be necessary to add some additional friction modifier. What is the current group opinion on fluids for these 2 components?
                Brad
                2013 Boss 302 Mustang
                2005 SV Roadsport (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by athens7 View Post
                  I'm thinking about Redline's MT-90 instead of MTL, as the MT-90 is a 75W90, instead of 70W80 like the MTL.
                  I've been using MT-90 for close to two years and am very happy with the shift quality in both cold (27F) and hot (>100F) weather. BGH's comments still worry me, but I've often wondered if the issues they have seen are a result of people running the slightly thinner MTL?

-John
                  Westfield SEiW
                  2.0L Duratec
                  Throttle Steer

Comment

For a Quaife LSD, Quaife recommends a standard gear oil, whatever the mfg recommended for the original car. Nothing special required.

I have an SPC close ratio T9, gears made for SPC by Quaife. I spoke to SPC when I bought the gearbox, he recommended Redline Lighweight shockproof. This is the light green colored stuff.

19,000 miles on it with no issues.

T9s may all baulk a bit on the first to 2nd shift. Somewhere I read that they all do that and you should not be too hard on it.

This is one of the areas BGH may improve on when he does his builds.

I know nothing about the 6 speed requirements.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                    X