Coolant leaking at the pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leaking at the pump

Just in time, that means 3 weeks before our Pacific Northwest Tour my Birkin is decidedly uncooperative.

There is coolant dripping from the right hand side of the water pump. It is very little, but now I have to top up coolant once a while, something I never had to do for the last 2 years.

Could the folks who are familiar with Zetecs (especially ZX1) please have a look at the picture below. It shows the hole where I believe the coolant comes out. The leakage becomes obvious when jacking up the left side of the car: then the coolant collected in this bore hole runs out to make a puddle under the car.

Any idea why it may leak and how I can fix it?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Gert

P.S.: I guess I should be thankful it happens now and not en route to Canada.....

Last edited by slomove; July 25, 2007, 09:25 PM.

Gert, I'm not familiar with the zetec, but it looks like you could run a tap in there and tread that hole, fit a bolt with some sealant and "bob's your uncle!".
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Comment

I think I found the answer (here)....the hole is called a "weep-hole" and intended to drain leaking coolant and avoid destroying the bearing when that happens. It is allowed to have some moisture but if it starts to drip it appears to be a sign for a failing pump seal.

Bummer....I know what I am going to do this weekend.

Gert

Comment

Gert

You are correct that it is a weep hole.

I have had them weep quite a lot without worries but I would replace the pump if going on the tour too.

It should be an easy job.

Doug

Comment

Working...
        X