Spare tire carrier delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tire carrier delete?

So now that I almost have my R track prepped pending the arrival/installation of my fire extinguisher and the 100 other items that I have already attended to, I am turning my attention to things that bother me.

Number one on the list is the spare tire carrier that my car was ordered with by mistake. I don't have a spare, and on a Superlight R will never bother with one anyway as I trailer to the track and don't plan on any highway cruises.

So, any suggestions on how to delete it without lowering the value of the car or replacing the rear panel? I was thinking that it may be possible to put the l-plate light where the hole for the spare tire fixing bolt is. Mounting the plate to the back panel looks like a snap, I'm just thinking that I will drill 4 holes and use nut inserts for mounting.

The tough thing as I see it is coming up with a good solution for cutting the carrier of without screwing anything up and plugging the holes in a way that looks good.

Suggestions anyone (even if it is leave the thing alone)?

You might want to take a look at this.

http://www.sjmmarsh.f2s.com/Caterham/WheelCarrier.html

It's instructions for turning the carrier into one that can be removed or remounted.

Steve

Comment

I used velco for my plate too. It works great.
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I've cut at least three of the carriers off like in the photo for myself and others.

A pipe cutter works great and makes a nice square cut. Protect the paint or aluminum from scatches by putting a piece of cardboard over it while cutting.

I made the cut 1آ½ inchs from the body and covered the ends with vinyl caps as in the photos.

The vinyl caps are about$5-10 for 100 pcs from McMaster Carr so I have lots left. I'll send you some if you PM me your address.

I've not bothered to make pins or drill the holes to be able to reinstall it. I carry my AAA card instead of a spare.

We used the hole left from the spare wheel to mount one of these:

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=175

The plate light bolts onto this frame. I made a threaded tube that screws into the boss for the spare wheel mount and run the wire for the light thru it.

Next time I'll use velcro.

Doug
        Last edited by Doug Liedblad; May 27, 2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad
          I've cut at least three of the carriers off like in the photo for myself and others.

A pipe cutter works great and makes a nice square cut. Protect the paint or aluminum from scatches by putting a piece of cardboard over it while cutting.

I made the cut 1آ½ inchs from the body and covered the ends with vinyl caps as in the photos.

The vinyl caps are about$5-10 for 100 pcs from McMaster Carr so I have lots left. I'll send you some if you PM me your address.

I've not bothered to make pins or drill the holes to be able to reinstall it. I carry my AAA card instead of a spare.

We used the hole left from the spare wheel to mount one of these:

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=175

The plate light bolts onto this frame. I made a threaded tube that screws into the boss for the spare wheel mount and run the wire for the light thru it.

Next time I'll use velcro.

Doug
          Doug,

Thanks for the detailed directions, I wouldn't have though of a pipe cutter even though it is SO obvious. I will custom fab a plate light to fit in the carrier bolt hole.

Thanks!

-Carl

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like I have some pretty good direction with this project now. I will keep the tire carrier around and leave some short stubs in case anyone want's to put it back on in the future.

Maybe I can find a better looking plate light while I am at it. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X