Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranking power

Hi All,

I have a 1700 Crossflow with a big cam. After installing my starter, I cranked the motor but the battery seems to look power before the motor starts.
    Is there an aftermarket battery with longer crank power that someone can suggest?

Also, I noticed the pinion gear stays connected to the flywheel ring gear after cranking, is that going to create a problem once the motor starts?

Thanks,
    Scott

Scott,

Have a look at http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm
    It may not be your battery at all...

/Magnus F.

Comment

Thanks Magnus, I'll give that a try.

One thing I found out the other day, I removed the plugs and cranked the motor over, it spins without a problem but as soon as I put the plug in the starter doesnt have quite as much power behind it.

When I get the spark/distributor working, will that help the starters spinning power?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by New2 7's
        Thanks Magnus, I'll give that a try.

One thing I found out the other day, I removed the plugs and cranked the motor over, it spins without a problem but as soon as I put the plug in the starter doesnt have quite as much power behind it.

When I get the spark/distributor working, will that help the starters spinning power?

Scott
        Without plugs/compression the starter has a much easier job so that is not really surprising. A working ignition will not help cranking until the engine fires up. Actually, too much cranking advance may even make cranking harder. But that is more a problem with programmable ECUs and not distributors.
        Last edited by slomove; February 1, 2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Cranking power

If you're using a Lucas starter, that may be a problem.

They absorb a lot of voltage and don't produce a whole lot of power. In some cases the bushing at the end of the bendix drive can be "buggered up" and causing a lot of additional drag.

Try powering the starter up right on the terminals with a jumper, that will eliminate the rest of your starting wiring from the equation.

I used to run a Formula Ford and after much grief I threw the Lucas starter away and installed a Tilton Super starter, problem solved.

The don't call Lucas the "prince of darkness" for nothing.

Comment

I'm looking at the Gustafson starters, it's a gear reduction unit.

Does anyone know of a good/honest mechanic in the Los Angeles area that works on Crossflow motors?
            I've got the motor cranking, and have a spark at the plugs finally.... but it's not kicking over and starting.... I assume my timing if off.

Comment

Originally posted by New2 7's
              Does anyone know of a good/honest mechanic in the Los Angeles area that works on Crossflow motors?
              Are you looking for a blacksmith or an archaeologist ?

edited to say...I should not crack jokes with a fellow Se7ener in distress. Let me know if I can help you. I am neither a mechanic nor overly honest but at least I live in the Los Angeles area.
              Last edited by slomove; February 2, 2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Weird if it doesn't even backfire.

Do you have fuel? Crank it for four-five seconds and remove a plug. The plug should be wet and smell of gas.

With fuel, spark and crank, most engines will make an attempt to start even with timing off, unless you've installed the wires to the plugs in the wrong order.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Try Speedwell. I think they are located in the valley.

Comment

Make sure the battery connections are very clean and tight and has a full charge, even if the timing is off you should still have a spark , what part of L.A. are you in? maybe someone near can help.

Comment

Latest update,

The motor started today after I redid the Top Dead Center on the distributor.

I live in the West LA Area, so if anyone knows how to set timing and balance carbs on a crossflow.... I would except any help, I think the timing is off because the number one header pipe wasnt heating up like the other 3 pipes, the motor wasnt back firing but I had to hold the throttle at 1500+ rpm or the motor would stall.
                      It was idling a little rough but I'm wondering if that may be in part because of the 244 cam?

Comment

I would be happy to come by and help but I cannot do it for a few days.

Maybe this coming Thursday evening as I have to drive by that part of town.

Contact me off list.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                        X