7 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 on ebay

Is anyone familiar with the car on ebay? looks like price will be around 37k if you check the companies website. It was built by autocourse, should this be a concern? I've herd some negatives in that direction.

Don't know what all this "teething" stuff is about, maybe a euphemism for crappy build quality or an unprofessional engine integration. Otherwise, if that is sorted out now price around 37k is probably O.K. for the spec.....and the paint job looks great: the yellow ones are the best :)

I am not sure if the stock Caterham box (assuming a regular T9) can handle much more torque. May be borderline?

Gert

P.S.: Somebody lost a bundle on this one....
    Last edited by slomove; July 30, 2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAC mini
      Is anyone familiar with the car on ebay? looks like price will be around 37k if you check the companies website. It was built by autocourse, should this be a concern? I've herd some negatives in that direction.
      Based upon my experience with both Rich Kamp and autocourse, I say follow Steve Stephen's recommendation in your other thread and call Rich Kamp. And forget that you even saw the car on ebay.

Comment

Magnus knows this car and the owner. Perhaps he'll have something to say, or private him.

Nothing wrong w/ a 2.3L Duratec imo, although I'm a 2 Liter man (wine and engines) myself. Fwiw, my 2.0 from the same dealer came out of the box smokin, most likely because the mapping was (probably) done by SBD in the UK and never touched thereafter Stateside. Maps can be fixed if they're not right. Based on the hp figures I doubt that the engine has been modified internally, which was the source of a loooong ugly story w/ another 2.3 that came from the same source.

It looks good for a FB car, if a little heavy (they all are). Contact the seller sez I and have a chat.

Good Hunting :)
        Chris
        ------------
        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Does seem like a good deal....

Gert, I'm running a standard 5 speed and my car is putting out a lot more hp that this car. (dynoed at 180hp at the rear wheels at Woodies shop). No transmission problems so far. (knock on wood!)

As a matter of fact, I'd say that this car should be putting out quite a bit more hp that it is...it's a 2.3L with individual tb's. My car has a similar setup but is a 2.0L!
          Tom "ELV15" Jones
          http://PIErats.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elv15
            No transmission problems so far. (knock on wood!)
            Tom, you are not trying hard enough :)

I was under the impression that the standard T9 is recommended only up to 180-200 hp (flywheel) or so. Beyond that I heard upgraded gears like in the BGH box are required for serious use.

But what do I know.....I don't even know how many (or how few) hp my own engine makes.

Gert

Comment

I believe they're rated by torque figures rather than horsepower. I was looking at a graph of one of Ammo's engines that makes about 225 hp. The torque was never above 170 lb. ft. An engine making 155 at the rear wheels isn't going to need a HD gearbox.

Edited to add that personally I'd much rather have a 2.3 Duratec w/ warts (which this car does not appear to have) than a pristine 2.0 Zetec. LOTS more potential going forward w/ the Duratec, and over 20 kilos less weight as well.
              Last edited by moosetestbestanden; July 30, 2006, 09:14 PM.
              Chris
              ------------
              A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

My Driving!

Gert - I must not be! ;-p We'll see how it holds up at Thunderhill!
                Tom "ELV15" Jones
                http://PIErats.com

Comment

Working...
                X