Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duratec alternator

Duratec owners:

As a result of my pulley failure and subsequent replacement w/ a stock pulley I need a longer drive belt. Unfortunately the system of pulleys and idlers and alternators has *zero* adjustability. So I'm thinking on a way to mount the alternator such that it has the ability to move for better belt fitting & tensioning.

Tom: your build page shows roughly the same setup as I have (I'm a 2.0L). Is it still the same?

Any, erm, alternate techniques (w/ photos if possible) of such inventions appreciated.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Chris

Have you talked to Raceline in the UK

http://www.raceline.co.uk/

They sell the Duratec for the Caterham and must have solved the problem. Unless that is what you already have.

Doug

Comment

Chris,

I finished a custom alternator bracket this weekend. I am running my alternator on the driver's side of the engine and originally used a modified version of the Raceline bracket (it's designed for a RHD car and locates the alternator in the path of the steering column). It was a poor solution that didn't address the limited adjustment problem and it wasn't very strong (it broke on the way back from USA2005).

For the new mount I used 3/8" plate aluminum, a bracket made from a solid cube of aluminum, a Van's Aircraft universal alternator bracket (model ES ALT-BKT
      ) and a turnbuckle with 8mm rod ends made to length by BRE. It took a while to fabricate since I have neither a band saw nor a mill, but it did come out okay using just a hacksaw, drill press, and bench grinder.

-John
      Westfield SEiW
      2.0L Duratec
      Throttle Steer

Comment

I'm right alternatered (proun. alternate nerd) so the mounting is going to be different I think. I haven't as yet completely removed the equipment as a spill on the bike yesterday cut (nyuk) into my garage time. But the technique is sound. Thanks for the links and pics.

Edited to add that the bracket is on the way. A trip to The Big Raw Toy Store is next:

Industrial Metal Supply - http://www.imsmetals.com/

And they're just 10 minutes away!
        Last edited by moosetestbestanden; November 17, 2005, 07:19 AM.
        Chris
        ------------

Comment

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

-John
          Westfield SEiW
          2.0L Duratec
          Throttle Steer

Comment

My bracket failed to arrive as scheduled however I'm moving forward w/ the bottom mount that exists and fabricating a new top mount for the interim as the weather's perfect and I simply MUST go for a drive. Anyway...

I wrongly thought there was no adjustability in the system becaust the object pictured here:

http://home.comcast.net/~chris.carte...natorMount.jpg

is clearly an automatic tensioner. It moves radially when I apply pressure to the belt at the alternator side.

As I understand it the part will pull outward as the belt wears. Does anyone out there know how much pre-load I should put this under?
            Chris
            ------------

Comment

Chris

My Zetec has a similar tensioner. I believe the belt I am using has the tensioner about in the middle of it's travel.

If this helps any.

M. Bedard and I are going to the Rock Store, Sunday AM, if interested, meeting between 8:00 and 8:30 AM.

Feel free to call 805-498-7771

Doug
              Last edited by Doug Liedblad; November 19, 2005, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Can't make it - work's not done. I'm building a new top mount 1st thing in the morning. Thanks for thinking of me and say howdy to Il artista for me.
                Chris
                ------------

Comment

Work's done. Back on the road now. And a nice mini blat it was too!

WooHoo!
                  Chris
                  ------------

Comment

Pics?
                    Westfield SEiW
                    2.0L Duratec
                    Throttle Steer

Comment

OK. It'll be this evening after work. I cobbled together an approximation of what was there before in order to get on the road immediately, because as stated the weather's been absolutely perfect. And I'm waiting for the bracket to arrive (so much for overnight shipping) before I set about to make what I hope is a clean installation.

The original, uh, arrangement wasn't exactly, uh, optimum as the edge of the belt was rubbing on the front of the engine, which caused a light rubber powder to deposit itself all over the front cover. This because the lower "mount" was made too short and thus the alternator was too far back. Duh. Oh, and the same mount is secured to the block w/ a *single* bolt, w/ no lockwasher. Yes folks, all that and a belt tensioner was never even functioning. The mount that was put together had just enough length in it to get a belt over all the pulleys and idlers. I slipped it off by hand when I was doing the dismantling for the pulley work. Amazing that it had stayed together as long as it did - it's really really cheesy. Unbelievable.
                      Chris
                      ------------

Comment

Working...
                      X