Neophyte...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neophyte...

Hi - I'm possibly interested in getting myself one of the Caterham cars. How hard are they to put together? What equipment, beyond the kit itself, am I going to need?

Thanks,
    Steve.

Well, maybe you can tell us a little more about your practical experience.....

It is surely more than assembling an IKEA cabinet but less than fully restoring a rusted '67 Mustang.

When I bought my Seven 3 years ago (note: it is a Birkin, not a Caterham) I opted for a used one because I did not trust my automotive skills beyond changing the oil. The advantage was instant gratification because I could drive the car from day 1 (important to keep up motivation). On the other hand, after 3 years of improving, tweaking, playing and learning I feel very comfortable to get a kit for my next Seven (if my Birkin should unexpectedly let me down).

So, it depends. For a car buff the assembly of a Seven may be a snap (I know people who got from a roller kit to a complete car in 3 weekends). Other people need 10 years to complete it.

Gert
    Last edited by slomove; November 13, 2005, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Check out Tom's excellent build site. Lots of photos document the various steps and should give you a good idea of what is involved.

-John
      Westfield SEiW
      2.0L Duratec
      Throttle Steer

Comment

I built mine w/ only the limited mechanical experience I had from wrenching at a shop during my college days in the, ahem, 70s.

I wasn't in a hurry and at the end the entire experience was and continues to be one of the best projects I've ever done. Enormously rewarding. Further, my knowledge of the car is complete because I built it. So when it's time to fix / upgrade it I do it.

Caterham ownership is that way imo, or should be. It's kind of like having your own race team where you're the owner, engineer, mechanic and of course the driver.

Bar none it's is far and away the best high performance automotive thing I've ever done, and I've had some nice ones. I can't see ever going back to any other kind of sports car now. They're all so soft and mushy and slow.

Our web master said it best: I'm totally Caterham damaged.
        Chris
        ------------
        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I built mine w/ only the limited mechanical experience I had from wrenching at a shop during my college days in the, ahem, 70s.

I wasn't in a hurry and at the end the entire experience was and continues to be one of the best projects I've ever done. Enormously rewarding. Further, my knowledge of the car is complete because I built it. So when it's time to fix / upgrade it I do it.

Caterham ownership is that way imo, or should be. It's kind of like having your own race team where you're the owner, engineer, mechanic and of course the driver.

Bar none it's is far and away the best high performance automotive thing I've ever done, and I've had some nice ones. I can't see ever going back to any other kind of sports car now. They're all - and I mean all - so soft and mushy and slow.

Our web master said it best: I'm totally Caterham damaged.
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Although I've had a life-long interest in cars, my mechanical knowledge prior to building my Caterham revolved around oil and sparkplug changes. In fact, I'm an accountant and have had no instruction in mechanics at all. My car was not a difficult build and required only regular hand tools, with the exception of the engine hoist I rented.

If you have the desire to build your own car, this is the kit for you.

Comment

Working...
            X