REGING MY 7??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REGING MY 7??

I'M HAVING NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS REGING MY 93 CATERHAM IN CALIF.?
    IT WAS REGISTERED IN NEW YORK AND IS GOOD THRU 05 OF 06.
    HAD TO GO TO A REF WHICH SAID THAT I WILL HAVE TO SEND TO THE BAR AS A GREY MRKT CAR AND UPGRADE DOT, SMG, ETC..
    MY ENG JUST HAPPENS TO BE A ONE OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN X-FLOWS.
    NOT AN M711..
    ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
    THANKS,
    BRIAN

Can any of the gents that recently brought in cars to CA shed some light on the process??

Comment

Some cars are now registered under SB100 that had been by the year of the engine. You might ask DaveG.

You still need to get one of the 500 numbers, so that means waiting until January 2006.

Other than that the only option I am aware of is to get a pre smog crossflow or other engine.

What year was the car registered as in NY?

Comment

reging my 7

Hi Doug,
        Thanks for the reply.
        It was registered in 93. NY title and smog & reg are good thru 05-06.
        Mybe I should take a drive to NY while I wait to camp on the DMV's front steps, Jan of 06..
        Could change engines to a 711m or 681 block, but hate to loose a eng with 4000 miles on it..
        I'm open to all ideas???
        Thanks again,
        Brian

Comment

Brian

Check out this website.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

Was it registered as a 1993 car?

Sometimes they are registered as a 1960's vintage Lotus.

Doug

Comment

SB 100 is the way to go. You should contact RMSCI and try to get a manufacturers certificate of origin for the car. This actually comes from Caterham UK and certifies that it is a kit car. You may need this during the registration process.

Also, get pictures or road tests of early (1957-1964) Lotus 7s so that you can show the referee what car you are replicating---this will provide your smog exemption,

Be in line early in the AM (before DMV opens) on Jan 2, 2006. This year 410 certs went on the first day and the remaining 90 were gone the next day. The story is that all 500 would have gone if CA had been able to process the paperwork on the first day. (Be VERY early)

Comment

REGING MY 7

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFO!!
              THE 7 WAS TITLED AS A 93 IN NEW YORK. (TOO BAD)...I'VE REQUESED THE ORIG PLATES (GOOD THRU 05-06) SO THAT I CAN AT LEAST DRIVE FOR A WHILE AS I'M GOING THRU THIS REG PROCESS.
              I'M GOING TO TRY TO REG AS A 69 (ENG DATE) AND HVE REQUESTED ORIG INVOICES FROM PREV OWNER.(hope he can find them!)
              SO LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO A DMV SLEEP OVER..
              LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU'ALL IN THE FUTURE..(in a reged 7)!
              TKS,
              BRIAN 8)

Comment

Registered?

How many here have registered their Seven for road use?

I am considering a move to Southern California and would be bringing in my never registered highly modified 89 Caterham (2L Cosworth BDP, Quaife 6-speed Sequential dog box, IRS, Alloy nose and fenders, full carbon underpan). The car has no lighting and only an aeroscreen.

If I want to register in California what is the minimum needed? lighting? windscreen? wipers? emergency brake? etc?

Thanks

Comment

If I want to register in California what is the minimum needed? lighting? windscreen? wipers? emergency brake? etc?
                  I registered my car w/out windscreen, wipers. There is a brake & light check which is done at "state certified facilities". It turned out to be mostly a formality but you do need functioning lights (head, tail, brake), indicators, horn (I think) and handbrake.

That won't be the hardest part. The whole smog part will be.

Why you'd want to register your track car for use on the crowded, distracted SUV idiot filled, cop-heavy, pot-holed, generally f***ed up California roads is another question, one the DMV never asks.
                  Chris
                  ------------
                  A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

You should try to register under SB 100; although you will have to wait until next Jan. Meanwhile line up the peices of paper you will need to visit the DMV. If you have the peices of paper that they want to see it's just a matter of going through the steps in the specified order until you are registered. Takes a month or so. It's more time consuming than difficult if you have things well prepared in advance.

If you are in the San Diego area you can probably borrow the things you may need like headlights, windshield, etc. from some of us.

Please tell us a bit more about the car and how long you have owned the 7.

Comment

I purchased the chassis new from Caterham in 1989 and have been modifying it since (over and over).

I am hopefully in the last major change (Nickel Plate the Chassis), this has been an exercise I would never do again. I started last July and have had numerous problems with the plating. The major problem is the size and limits the facilities capable of doing this. I just picked up the chassis and it looks like I will accept this (only a few minor flaws) This time required my doing about 300hrs of blending on the chassis prior to re-plating.

All all parts are Ni plated, or Aluminum.

I have put on a full carbon Underpan

I have new skin and alloy nose, fr cycle wings (widened 1"), rr fenders (widened 2")

I built an IRS.

I have AP 4-pot brakes on all 4 corners (ventilated discs and calipers from the ELF 6-wheel F1 car)

Ther are other chassis mods and I built the complete suspension (Fr and Rr).

The motor is a Cosworth 2.05L BDP utilizing Motec injection and TWM throttle bodies. I also used the Motec ADP dash.

I do not have current pictures of many of the mods but will get them during final assembly.

I will probably not register for the road because of the potential for damage as pointed out.

Mike

Comment

Another thing I did was replace all the rivits with Al button head screws (they weigh less than the rivits) It took awhile to drill and tap all the holes, but I will not have to put up with the ends remaining int the tubes next time I decide to remove the panels. I drilled holes in the ends of the major tubes to remove the peices this time and rewelded them shut.

In regards to the lights, windshield, etc. for registration, I have all the components, but did not want to put holes in the panels just to register which is irrelavent now.

Mike

Comment

Uhh, Mike, this is beyond WOW!!!

Where in CA are you contemplating?

I selfishly want to see your creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll a 7
                            Uhh, Mike, this is beyond WOW!!!
                            Talk about an understatement... That is just amazing!!

-John
                            Westfield SEiW
                            2.0L Duratec
                            Throttle Steer

Comment

I am probably going to Orange County area.

I have to put the Seven back together prior to the move as the relocation will not move the parts. I go through this every time I move. The car has moved from AZ to FL back to AZ to TX back to AZ and now to CA. the car has more miles in the back of a transporter than driving. I will probably move the car myself this time because it is only about 375 miles. I have a cargo trruck I had built just for the seven.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X