Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor choice

My luck has run out.
    I now have to find a suitable motor for my seven that will pass emissions and registration. I was thinking of the Hayabusa but it might be too expensive to install as opposed to a Ford(whichever).
    Any thoughts on sourcing an engine? I'm in Redondo Beach. Also trying to find a garage to work on it.

No motorcycle engine will pass emissions and I think that they are not required to pass. The state of CA seems to frown on the idea of a cycle engined car.

If you have to pass emissions the best starting points are likely to be a zetec or a duratec in stock form. SB 100 would give you a lot more flexibility regarding engine choice and emissions.

Is the state unwilling to accept your current title and transfer it to a CA title?

Perhaps some other 7er on this site can offer some guidance. RMSCI might also be able to provide useful advice. Another 7er on this site is using some little outfit in Torrance called "Cosworth". Best of luck on getting your plates. 8)

Comment

Maybe install an old pinto engine, register it, and then replace the engine?

/Magnus F.

Comment

Hmmmmm.
        Sounds like a strong maybe.
        Anybody have an old motor I can drop in?
        Hey Dave G. where did you find yours?

Comment

Rob,
          I have a '65 ford 1500 pre-Xflow and a pretty dead Cortina 4 speed in my garage that I'd be happy to sell you....
          I think I have most of the parts to assemble this mess. I'm pretty sure the only thing I lack is a distributor.
          The trans is making metal but would last long enough to get through the referee.
          The engine Has 70 miles on a fresh O'haul. Bored .03 over, new valves, crank turned, fresh bearings. etc.

The old trans would probably be less costly then putting all the pieces together to mate this engine to your T9, but I can tell you how to do that if you like.

I'd like to get $1k for it if I can. You can have all the rest of the stuff If you want it.

If I read the rules right, the big hurdle seems to be getting the chassis identified as a kit. Doesn't Customs need something certifying the car is a kit before they'll let it in the country? Don't the Caterham boys have to show the DMV something from the factory certifying that they bought a kit? As well as a bill of sale?

If you try to go through as a homebuilt you'll need bills of sale for the big pieces. Hmmm.....Maybe that would be easier.....If you can get someone to "sell" you all the parts...that might work.
          If you had a bill of sale for the chassis then the CHP might verify the car using the Caterham data plate VIN, as long as that VIN doesn' show up anywhere else in the database...You can ask for a search of the database for your VIN at the DMV for a small sum.

Give me a call or email

L8R
          DaveG
          Dave Ganzer
          [email protected]
          [email protected]
          805-527-6089 h

Comment

Rob,
            Scratch that $1K....
            You can just come and get all that stuff, if you want, as long as you bring the engine back when you're done......

DaveG
            Dave Ganzer
            [email protected]
            [email protected]
            805-527-6089 h

Comment

Working...
            X