Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean
    replied
    That'll be good news, then! Fingers crossed that the powers that be at CARB can get back to applying the relevant sections of the law as they were written and intended.

Leave a comment:

• 1owner69lotus
    replied
    The word is that CARB who has been holding up SPCNS registrations has just backed off and the normal SB100 process should be back on track.
    Some 50 SPCNS cars (including Cobras, Caterhams) have been stalled because of CARB’s unilateral and inappropriate actions.
    Hopefully we’ll now see the registrations being allowed to go forward again as they have been for the last 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    At least some of the persons being denied have photos of the build process and receipts. We'll have to see if this gets resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Sean
    replied
    It would be interesting to see if somebody out there had recently:
    • purchased the chassis/kit from Caterham without drivetrain
    • sourced the engine independently from an unrelated entity, preferably in the USA
    • sourced the gearbox independently from the likes of BGH, SPC, Burton, or similar
    The above is the classic, textbook intent of the original "SB100" process as it would be applied to a Caterham 7. It appears the CARB may have recently tried to stop all Caterhams based on so many attempts not fully qualifying for the regulations as they interpret them? If so, would be interesting to see if a 100% by-the-book Caterham registration as described above would be approved or denied. Don't see how that could be rightfully denied, and just one recent approval could go a long way toward re-establishing what is/is not kosher.

I wonder if SEMA knows about this? Seems like the kind of thing that would be right up their alley.

REF:
    https://www.sema.org/programs-services
    https://www.semasan.com/resources/ev...-all-50-states

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    More updates HERE. The short story is that the BAR appears to be denying all new Caterham attempts to register under the Specially Constructed Vehicle exemption. The link provided has more current information than this site.

Leave a comment:

• heloman
    replied
    It's been a year and I'm still waiting for an appointment with a smog referee from the BAR. My car is 20 years old was purchased out of state. BAR says it doesn't qualify for SB100. Car was built from a kit in 2000 and was first registered in Alabama and then Texas before I bought it. I'm on my fourth temporary registration. There seems to be a problem because of Superformance building complete Cobras and registering them under SB100. Air resources board getting involved. Waiting for all that to be settled.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    All I know is that you should be able to get it registered. Many others have done so.

Leave a comment:

• TomSalter
    replied
    Unfortunately this was the phone interview (During COVID it's phone interview first, then in-person later, but I never got to that stage...) and Sacramento that declined me. So I may be screwed.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    Try a different BAR location if you can. Unless they put 'notes' in your file for the number. I have never heard of any others being denied.

Leave a comment:

• TomSalter
    replied
    It was an old friend of mine that built it, we used to talk about building one 10 years ago, and lockdown for him was a perfect excuse to go and build one with his kids. He enjoyed the process so much he sold me the finished car and immediately ordered another kit!

Unfortunately I need the SB-100 exception. It wasn't the DMV that rejected me, it was the BAR who need to put the sticker in the car so I can finish the registration at the DMV.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    If the car was built and or registered in another state there is different pathway to registration in California. At the time it was SB1578 (Senate Bill 1578) the DMV may call it by another name.

I don't have personal experience but others on the form have. Search for SB1578

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    Who built it?

Per the California DMV website a specially constructed vehicle is:

A specially constructed or modified vehicle (SPCNS) is a homemade or kit vehicle built for private use, not made by a licensed manufacturer and not eligible for resale. These vehicles may be built from a kit and may include a combination of new and used parts, especially if they are constructed using a junked vehicle that was previously dismantled.

The Caterham is built from a Kit.

If you have the sequence number you should be able to go to your local DMV and complete the registration.

See more HERE

If the above was given to you by a particular DMV Office, try a different one.

Doug
    805-402-1225

Leave a comment:

• TomSalter
    replied
    Hey!

I'm running into some issues with registering my Caterham 310S in California. It was built last year and titled in WA, and I purchased it from the owner and drove it down to CA. I've done the brake and light inspection, got the sequence number, done the CHP inspection, and paid the sales tax... but when going for the SB-100 exception I got this response:

Your vehicle cannot be registered in the state, because the manufacturer Caterham is importing their vehicles without meeting USEPA or California emissions standards. These vehicles do not meet the definition of a specially constructed vehicle. These are made and sold by a small volume manufacturer and they are by passing customs, EPA, and CARB regulations by shipping the vehicle in parts. Your case was reviewed by the California Air Resources Board and the Bureau of Automotive repair. If you have any questions, you can contact my supervisor at <snip>
    This sounds...serious, like the CARB and BAR no longer want to register Caterhams in the state!?

-Tom

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied

I believe the listed items are mostly for a NEW build. The Certificate or Origin is something Caterham sent me. The DMV keeps it.

If you have the out of state title that should be most of all you need, plus the smog inspection. I don't know if a transfer needs the brake and lights but they may.

Let us know how it works out.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• heloman
    replied
    Hello Panamaw. Somehow I missed your question. Very sorry for the delay. In California, for registration for an out of state purchase, I just needed the title and have it inspected by the Highway Patrol. But because it's considered a special constructed vehicle I have to get a smog exemption which is handled by a separate state agency. Much more complicated. Here's what I had to provide the Bureau of Automotive Repair:

Requirements for referee inspection:
    • Certificate of Sequence
    • VIN verification (REG 31)
    • Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Plate (REG 124) (if applicable)
    • DMV Report of Deposit of Fees
    • Certificate of Origin
    • DMV Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
    • Statement of Construction (REG 5036)
    • Statement of Facts (REG 256) (this one is not always necessary)
    • Certificate of Title if not a new construction
    • Brake certificate of compliance
    • Lamp certificate of compliance
    • Receipts for all of the major components including chassis, body, engine, trans.
    • A value for labor must be entered on the statement of construction
    • Pictures of the build are always helpful
    • If the vehicle is being certified as a non-emission controlled vehicle, (1965 Cobra), then at a minimum, it will need to have a closed crankcase with a type 4 PCV.
    It's been months and I still don't have an appointment and I've submitted the information. The DMV has been good about giving me temporary tags until I get the smog exemption.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X