SPCNS Title in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPCNS Title in California

I'd like to buy a used 7 which is currently titled in another state. It would be brought into CA and have to be titled and then registered as a SPCNS for smog exemption (under SB100/SB1578). In terms of documentation, I would have a clean out-of-state title and invoices for all the major parts. It seems this has been done before, but I have a few questions about this case in particular:

1. It is currently unclear if this car was ever registered for road use in the other state (track car). Would this history be an obstacle for SPCNS and road use in CA? i.e. having a title but no history of registration.
    2. It is currently titled as a "2002 CATERHAM" - i.e. it doesn't have a special SPCNS equivalent classification in the other state. Presumably this is not an obstacle to re-classification as SPCNS in CA?
    3. Since the MSO was surrendered to the out-of-state DMV to obtain the title, it's not available for the CA DMV. Presumably an out-of-state title would substitute for the MSO to get SPCNS?
    4. I've read conflicting info on whether the "7,500 mile limit" applies to SPCNS applications. Can you register a used out-of-state kit-car which has <7,500 miles on the clock?

Thanks so much. I'm trying to contact DMV for their verdict, but getting through to Sacramento on the phone is taking ages.

I don't believe it will be any problem.

Make an appointment with a local DMV and go talk to them. If the closest one is busy, try the next.

Or just go there and wait in line.

Sometimes early AM has long wait lines. I have gone mid afternoon and found only a short wait. YMMV.

Where are you located?

Comment

Hi Doug - thanks for your reply! I'm in San Diego. I agree, from everything I have gathered from previous folks who have bought out-of-state cars, this should be no different. I actually bit the bullet, since the deal would have slipped through my hands by the time I'd have spoken to someone in person at the DMV. I called Sacramento a few times, but the folks there were clueless about SPCNS. Cheers!

Comment

Hi. I was in a similar situation. I bought a 2000 Super Sprint 1700 from a dealer in Texas. I'm the third owner. For whatever reason the car was titled as a Ford. I took delivery in early May, 2 weeks after I bought it. Because of COVID it took me four tries to get into DMV once it started opening offices. Some people there didn't know about SB100; but I was fortunate to find someone with at least a passing knowledge. Once I paid my fees and got a temporary registration I had to see the CHP for a VIN verification. I then had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. The officer was a great guy and the inspection went quickly. Although my car has a 17 digit serial number I was told it didn't meet federal parameters. So I was issued a CA Identification number and a tag was attached to the car in the engine compartment. Next stop is the smog referee at the Bureau of Automotive repair. But to do that I needed a Certificate of Sequence Number. I requested that from DMV when I paid my fees. It took 3 weeks to receive that in the mail. But I couldn't make an appointment until the CHP inspection. I made an appointment a couple days ago and the first available is August 31. But it's going to be a telephone call virtual appointment. Not sure what that will entail and if a physical appointment will come after that. Also the referee stations are not all open right now. I'm in the Folsom area and will have to go to Vallejo or Chico unless other offices are open. They will determine if I'm smog exempt. So, patience is the watch word in getting it registered. Good luck and keep us informed. I will, too. Here are shots of my car and my new ID number plate.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrino View Post
          I'm in San Diego.
          Where in San Diego?

I'm in Escondido.

EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
          '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
          '14 Evora
          '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Hello heloman,

What documents did you need to initially provide the DMV, e.g. did you need a Statement of Construction (REG 5036)? I'm in the same boat with a 1980's Seven I just purchased out of the Rhode Island. None of the original build documentation/MSO/receipts exist, so I am trying to establish how to go about proving it was custom built. The title does list it as a 1985 Caterham.

Cheers,
            Alan

Comment

Hello Panamaw. Somehow I missed your question. Very sorry for the delay. In California, for registration for an out of state purchase, I just needed the title and have it inspected by the Highway Patrol. But because it's considered a special constructed vehicle I have to get a smog exemption which is handled by a separate state agency. Much more complicated. Here's what I had to provide the Bureau of Automotive Repair:

Requirements for referee inspection:
              • Certificate of Sequence
              • VIN verification (REG 31)
              • Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Plate (REG 124) (if applicable)
              • DMV Report of Deposit of Fees
              • Certificate of Origin
              • DMV Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
              • Statement of Construction (REG 5036)
              • Statement of Facts (REG 256) (this one is not always necessary)
              • Certificate of Title if not a new construction
              • Brake certificate of compliance
              • Lamp certificate of compliance
              • Receipts for all of the major components including chassis, body, engine, trans.
              • A value for labor must be entered on the statement of construction
              • Pictures of the build are always helpful
              • If the vehicle is being certified as a non-emission controlled vehicle, (1965 Cobra), then at a minimum, it will need to have a closed crankcase with a type 4 PCV.
              It's been months and I still don't have an appointment and I've submitted the information. The DMV has been good about giving me temporary tags until I get the smog exemption.

Comment

I believe the listed items are mostly for a NEW build. The Certificate or Origin is something Caterham sent me. The DMV keeps it.

If you have the out of state title that should be most of all you need, plus the smog inspection. I don't know if a transfer needs the brake and lights but they may.

Let us know how it works out.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                X