Shocks and Dampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks and Dampers

For awhile the right rear Bilstein shock on my Caterham has been leaking and I've wondered what to do about it. Several recent articles in Lowflying regarded the re-building of shock absorbers; however those were primarily made by Nitron. Then I discovered that Bilstein offered a shock re-building service. So I contacted them through an email address on their website and learned they usually do not re-build OEM shocks. The respondent asked me to provide the part numbers that are stamped on the shock bodies so he could give me a more informed answer, but none can be found. Any ideas out there - what to try next? Do we have a local Caterham dealer/distributor? I appreciate your help!

Best wishes,
    Clark

Meteor Motorsport would be a good place to start. He can probably recommend a US-based way forward, and worst case he could rebuild or replace as well.
    | | Sean

Comment

Many years ago I ordered shocks from Protech in the UK (400 series single adjustable). Just gave them the compressed and extended length, diameter and my choice of end configuration. But mentioning "Birkin S3" they knew already what was needed. Their Kit-Car series is designed for lightweight cars like ours and I bet they can tell you right away what is needed for your Caterham's model vintage. Good guys to work with and my shocks are still going strong without leaks after 13 years and 50k miles. Reasonable price and quick shipping as well (in 2004, that is...).

Comment

Clark,

The best mod I ever made to my 7 was to replace the stock springs and shocks; which routinely achieved terminal understeer in autocrosses. It took the fun out of driving the car. Waiting, waiting for it to come back into control.

I consulted the blatchat boys for a month or two and finally decided to go with the guys in the UK that did the shock/spring combinations on the fastest 7s racing in the UK. Figured that their solutions were well proven on track and would be more than good enough for me. Bought the recommended springs and 24 click adjustable (one way) AVO shocks. Cost was $600-800 delivered from the UK.

This totally transformed the handling of the car---once my pal Dave did a few laps to dial in the right number of clicks. Made the car really responsive and FUN to drive. It could be adjusted to understeer on left turns and oversteer on right turns, if that was desired.

Bought them from Freestyle. Not sure if they re still operating...

Give me a call and I can provide more info. Brad

Comment

I contacted Meteor Motorsport and have been emailing messages back and forth with Simon Rogers. A recent article in Lowflying described his services and specialty with shocks for Caterhams. The article author had the opportunity to observe Simon in action as he rebuilt and tested a set of Nitron shocks on his dynamometer, and was pleased with the result. So, I'm considering a set of Nitron NTR1 shocks with custom valving, fixed rate front springs and progressive rate rears. More fun with Sevens!
          Clark

Comment

I have Nitron shock on my 7 and I really like the. Mine have the external reservoirs, so you have to get cleaver to find some extra room.

Rod
            Rod Swanson

Comment

Hi Rod,
              Good to hear from you! I am still using the Prisoner wheels you sent.
              The Nitron NTR1 shocks are fairly basic. One way adjustable and no external reservoir. Apparently the key with purchasing them from Simon at Meteor is his experience in setting them up. Ride height will be adjustable with these, unlike the fixed height OEM Bilsteins. Hoping for the best!
              Clark

Comment

Hi,

New Nitron NTR1 suspension units arrived yesterday from Simon Rogers at Meteor Motorsports! Beautiful pieces of work. Now to find time to work on my car.

Best wishes,
                Clark

Comment

Working...
                X