New to me caterham 7, pectel T2 ECU questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me caterham 7, pectel T2 ECU questions

I recently purchased a SV, the chassis is 2005 per Caterham numbering, the engine is 2L Zetec 16v, based on information I able to obtain on the USA7s site the ECU is a Pectel T2. I have no software (Descpro, etc) and no communications cable. The engine is running rough, missing at normal highway speed and backfires upon throttle lift. I am getting some troubleshooting suggestions at the USA7s site. It would be a great help to interrogate the ECU.

Is it possible to obtain the appropriate software and communication cables?
    As a longer term solution, what are owners doing as far as ECU obsolescence?

TIA
    Greg

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Anyplace on the intake manifold after the injectors?

Note that some throttle bodies have a balancing screw on the bottom. Check to be sure one or more has not fallen out. There may be a balancing needle valve on the top as well.

It will cause a 'lean miss'.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
      It will cause a 'lean miss'.
      I had one of those in my car once, but she saw my wedding ring and walked away. Sorry Greg, but I couldn't hold that one back.
      | | Sean

Comment

Pectel T2

Originally posted by catsv7 View Post
        I recently purchased a SV, the chassis is 2005 per Caterham numbering, the engine is 2L Zetec 16v, based on information I able to obtain on the USA7s site the ECU is a Pectel T2. I have no software (Descpro, etc) and no communications cable. The engine is running rough, missing at normal highway speed and backfires upon throttle lift. I am getting some troubleshooting suggestions at the USA7s site. It would be a great help to interrogate the ECU.

Is it possible to obtain the appropriate software and communication cables?
        As a longer term solution, what are owners doing as far as ECU obsolescence?

TIA
        Greg
        Where are you? I have a cable and the Descpro software. The software is old DOS stuff so you need to know what you are doing. I don't. If you are in Northern Cal we could get together and make a hot mess.

Comment

Hi Michael,

I am now in procession of DescproW and an interface cable. I have tested the communication to the ecu and the communication checks out. Thanks for your interest.

I am in Phoenix

Greg

Comment

Michael

Magnus and I have been working with Greg to sort it out.

Doug

Comment

Courtesy of Michael Murphy.

For the typical Zetec setup using the Pectel T2 that require high impedance injectors.

I sent my injectors back to Marren for calibration and service a while back. I found the report, and here is the info per the manufacturer:
              Injector Type: 14.5 ohm
              Injector part no. 0280150945
              Injector make: Bosch 30lb
              Test pressure: 43 psi; static flow @ 43.0 psi 315 ccpm

Comment

Latest Update,

Determined the fuel injectors are low impedance and incompatible with Pectel ECU. So, will be checking into the injectors used by Michael Murphy. Also replaced the ignition coil pack just to eliminate that item. I have installed a fuel pressure gauge and acquire a LM-2 system for AFR/lambda measurement.

Comment

March 29 Update,

New injectors obtained ( part 020150945) and installed. Checked injector resistance and got ~14.9 ohm average. Reset fuel regulator to 42.5 psi without engine fired.

Comment

Did you start it yet?

Comment

I haven't started it yet. I plan to replace the fuel filter this weekend and purge the remaining fuel. I want to put fresh fuel in before conducting a start.

Comment

Good idea. No point in clogging up new injectors with potential crud.

Comment

Update from Apr 1

Today I drained the old fuel, changed the fuel filter, put in fresh high octane fuel. Then ….

1. First, I started the car with the old maps … it ran worse than before, AFR at idle >22, running rough. Trying to accelerate engine motor just cause it to quit.
                          2. Second, I load in Michael Murphy provided maps. I was doing some basic checking of the maps and noticed the TPS table lookup was reversed from my map. Probably just a matter of method of wiring the sensor. So I created a version on MM’s map with the TPS table from my old map.
                          3. I loaded the revised MM map into my ecu and started the car. It runs very well, no more rough idle, AFR at idle ~12. A short run up and down the street had smooth throttle response, and responsive, no more back firing on throttle lift and AFR’s ~13 at 35 mph.

A very good day!

Comment

Working...
                          X