Water/oil heat exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water/oil heat exchanger

Anyone have any firsthand experience with either the Cosworth or Lamina heat exchangers on a Duratec 2.3l? I'll probably do the initial runs on the engine without one but I am considering adding one in lieu of a standard cooler before hitting the road.

TIA
    Wide-body Birkin, 2.3l Duratec

Originally posted by Papak View Post
    Anyone have any firsthand experience with either the Cosworth or Lamina heat exchangers on a Duratec 2.3l? I'll probably do the initial runs on the engine without one but I am considering adding one in lieu of a standard cooler before hitting the road.

TIA
    I have no experience with the coolers on the Duratech installation. But I do have significant experience with Laminova coolers on another installation. The coolers, in general, are quite effective and compact. They are also very effective at being an oil filter. We find that after about 1500 - 1800 hours on our aircraft that they should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. This is because the small passages between the internal cooling fins can become clogged with the minor debris that inherently floats around in the oil system. Please note that we change the oil and filters regularly at 100Hr intervals. We use only Mobil 1 0-W40 synthetic oil.

Other than that caveat, we like them.
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora
    '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Not on a Duratec but I have a Laminova on a Zetec. Besides the mentioned advantages and clean installation, it also helps warming the oil when cold. Nowadays I don't do track days anymore and would not actually need that thing but when I did, the oil temperature regularly pegged solid on my 120 deg C gage. I guess it was well into the 140deg C temp range. After Laminova installation it never exceeded 120 C.

I never took it out in the 10 years since installation but after Ron's warning I guess I will with the next oil change. Did not notice any pressure loss so far, though.

Comment

Thanks, fellows. It costs about the same as the Cosworth unit but I like the additional filtration aspect. How difficult is it to clean the element? Is it best done ultrasonically? The replacement element runs about $140.

Comment

Thanks, fellows. It costs about the same as the Cosworth unit but I like the additional filtration aspect. How difficult is it to clean the element? Is it best done ultrasonically?
          We just disassemble them and then wash in a solvent tank with a flow-thru brush, taking care not to damage the fins. Reassembly after cleaning includes new o-rings, taking care not to damage them with plenty of lubricant.
          EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
          '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
          '14 Evora

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Thanks. Sounds easy.

Comment

Thanks. Sounds easy.
              FYI. If you haven't seen a Lamina core, here is what the ones that we use look like:

Note: For scale, the core element on the left in the above picture is about 8"long and 2.5" in diameter. The one on the right is about 4" long and 2" in diameter.
              EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
              '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
              '14 Evora

Comment

Working...
              X