Birkin SS3XS build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birkin SS3XS build

I just picked up my kit from Tom Carlin in Gypsum, CO. Heading back to LA in the morning. This is the "wide body" kit, approximately 100mm wider and 70mm longer, mostly in the cockpit. Remarkably, he said that I am the first person to pick one up in person. I'll get everything unloaded this weekend but as I was leaving town, the machine shop called to inform me that the engine components are ready to be picked up. The engine assembly will be the priority for the next week or so. Hopefully, I can get to DMV during the week to get an exemption number. Photos will accompany the rest of this build blog. Should be fun.
    Wide-body Birkin, 2.3l Duratec

NOAA shows a clear drive ahead. Perfect timing weather-wise Kevin. Enjoy the trip - it looks like you're off to a good start.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

The drive back was beautiful and uneventful. Noteably, no congestion or accidents until we were on the 110, 15 miles from home. The usual LA chaos from that point on. So far, I've been cleaning and organizing parts. The master cylinders are installed but various other tasks are awaiting various "stuff". Grainger needs a few more days to get the bottoming taps to prep the block. I'm picking up the polish for the aluminum on Wednesday in Corona at Aircraft Spruce (have to be out that way on business anyway). Then I can polish the exterior aluminum before attaching the suspension. I am looking for Aerquip hose (hopefully random length/excess stock) to fabricate fuel and oil lines (-6 and -8). I need to get the fuel lines in before installing the differential due to clearance issues and access. The Cosworth oil pump is coming from GB. Today I will probably fabricate cover plates for the heater access that was already cut into the firewall/scuttle. I also need to figure out the quantity and various sizes of aluminum bungs that I need to get in order to convert the various fuel and oil ports to AN fittings.

The sequence of tasks is the hardest thing to organize at the inception of a project like this. I had hoped to have the engine together before picking up the kit but our schedules worked against that. The online shopping for prices and availability of parts also consumes an inordinate amount of time. We really need a "Kit Spares" outfit over on this side of the pond. I still have to purchase a clutch, transmission, instruments and wheels. I've figured out the instruments and wheels, just not ordered yet (any additional parts are probably going to have to be stored in the house as the garage is absolutely full). Still waiting for BGH to get more sets of the "rocket" gear sets in stock (promised for late February). Then I have to get the gears to Quantum in Connecticut to finish a gearbox. If I see this before the end of March, I'll be astounded. The radiator, windscreen and seats are backordered from Birkin and should be here in 3 weeks or so.

Oh well, back to the garage. I'll post some photos when I find a convenient way to shrink them to an acceptable size.

Comment

I have just finished a 7 build in Corona and taken it through the registration process and helped a friend do the same last week. I could not get the SPCNS for either car without showing a finished car to the DMV to get a Reg 134 for a CHP referral and then they wouldn't give me the the SPCNS until I had the new VIN assigned by the CHP. Do Birkin's come with an MSO and VIN already? Where are you doing the build? Must be close if your off to aircraft spruce. A couple of good sources for AN fittings, do not go to earls, unless you want to be abused. Try aircraft spruce or, kartek in corona, Deering industries in long beach, he has a lot of surplus stuff, once you get to know him then he is cool, or luky's in Burbank (ie. joe factors).

Comment

I am located in Westchester, just north of LAX. I was going to try Luky's on Monday. I'll check out Kartek when I am in Corona on Wednesday. Thanks for the tips. Are you around on Wednesday? I have heard that there is a fair amount of variability in cooperation among the DMV offices in the area. Which one did you use?

Comment

I went to the Norco office for my car and Oceanside for my friends. It's no so much the office but more the person who you are dealing with which is the luck of the draw. Happy to walk you through what to say and forms to have. The guy I got in Norco was well versed were as the guy I got in Oceanside had to read what to do from their online manual and we were there 2 hours. I will be around Wednesday. Feel free to text me 714 403 2623. I could be in Tustin so give me a heads up on when you are going to be in corona. At Kartek ask for Bennie. Second register on the right when you walk in. Tell him I sent you. I worked with him on all my fittings etc.

Comment

Anyone have a simplified fuel system schematic? As I plan the fuel line layout, it occurred to me that I have seen the fuel pump mounted both near the tank and near the engine. Relative merits? I plan on using a Wabro (gerotor) pump and locating it at or below the bottom level of the tank, regardless of the front or rear location. Is it strong enough to pull through a 40 micron filter or is it better to push through it?

Comment

for my set up, I run a low pressure pump (www.aircraftspruce.com) below the level of the tank in the rear and filter its output in the rear then through the tunnel into a small header tank in the engine compartment. (source :www.kitspares.co.uk) I then run a Walbro from the header tank, push through a second filter and into the fuel rail and recirculate through a regulator back into the header tank. The low pressure pump in the rear constantly recirculates the fuel from the rear tank through the header tank.

Comment

My Birkin has the pump mounted on the panel behind the driver's seat, and originally drew fuel from the left bottom corner of the un-baffled tank. That caused fuel starvation in left hand turns, so I made and installed a small intermediate fuel pot mounted low on centerline. No more starvation, but I'm sure some racing organizations might take exception to my solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X