Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

What weight oil do I use in my Kent 1700cc motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight oil do I use in my Kent 1700cc motor?

I've only had my '92 Caterham (Kent 1700) for a few months now and wish to do an oil change. I am unsure what weight oil to use.. advice please? I live in a climate (Victoria BC) much like Seattle WA, wet in the winter and rarely goes below freezing.

Also, any idea what the volume it takes is?

I just noticed there is a catch tank of sorts under the coil. It looks like oil in side.. what the heck is this for?

Thanks, Pat

The catch tank is oil, but I wouldn't recommend reusing it. Empty when you you change your oil.

It all depends on what you intend to do - but for a street driven car you'll want either 40 or 50 weight in the crossflow. You can use a higher weight oil to increase your pressure if it's a bit low. Don't forget the ZDDP for the flat tappet kent.

Comment

Originally posted by GWise View Post
      The catch tank is oil, but I wouldn't recommend reusing it. Empty when you you change your oil.

It all depends on what you intend to do - but for a street driven car you'll want either 40 or 50 weight in the crossflow. You can use a higher weight oil to increase your pressure if it's a bit low. Don't forget the ZDDP for the flat tappet kent.
      Thanks, just to clarify is that straight 40 or 50W or 20-50?

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by GWise View Post
        ....... Don't forget the ZDDP for the flat tappet kent.
        Any of the good racing motor oils should have plenty ZDDP.

Redline and others make a 'break in' additive that you can use all the time but some say it's best to have it as part of the formula.

Comment

10-40 or 20-50 should be fine. I tend to use a high quality 10-50 with about a half bottle of ZDDPlus. The 20-50 is overkill for my engine but it's a lot easier to find and I'm not searching for every bit of power for my car on the street. When I finally get it out on the track, I plan to use Torco Racing 10-40. Another option is diesel oils, but they tend to have a higher amount of detergents.

Comment

Diesel oils no longer have the ZDDP level they use to.

I believe it is higher than automobile oil but it's not as high as it was.

Comment

Get Valvoline VR1 50 weight sez I. They also make a 20-50W which is too thin for my current application but would probably be fine. Come track time I'll switch over to their 60W.

It's cold up there (ask me how I know!) so let the car idle a while before blasting off.

Edit: Some zinc & product info here
              Last edited by moosetestbestanden; November 5, 2014, 04:03 PM.
              Chris
              ------------
              A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

A Redline technical support person told me their oil works best at 160آ؛F and up.

It takes my Zetec with a Raceline wetsump about 10 minutes to get to that temperature from cold. I don't recall if that is under load or just idling in the pits.

Best to warm the oil for several minutes before vigorous driving, especially if you have a large drysump tank.

Comment

I use Brad Penn 20w-50 in my old pre-Xflow. No additives required. No problems so far (4 years on) under my stewardship.
                  EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                  '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                  '14 Evora
                  '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Working...
                  X