Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

Throttle Cable for a 2002 Caterham Zetec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable for a 2002 Caterham Zetec.

Does anyone know what the part number or where to find the throttle cable for a 2002 Zetec Caterham?
    My cable melted during the 2005 tour and another 7 person had a spare. Since then my cable has broken again. I am temporarily using a bicycle brake cable.
    The new guys at Caterham USA do not know what cable is used and Catherham UK doesn’t know what was used in the USA.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Rod
    Rod Swanson

If you stiill have the melted cable, contact Beachman Racing [email protected] (206-774-0852) and he can fabricate a new one for you. He made one for my Duratec. The throttle is so smooth now its almost like driving a different car than before.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; November 3, 2014, 08:07 PM.
    Still in the massive grin stage. Damn bugs

Comment

What's wrong with the bicycle cable? Been using one for years and keep a spare in the car

www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Originally posted by mopho View Post
        What's wrong with the bicycle cable? Been using one for years and keep a spare in the car

Concur.

When I need a cable for the Seven I go to a local motorcycle shop here. They have several different types of cable stock and sleeves as well as different lead form tools for making cable ends. I have used their services on several different applications as well, like the throttle and choke cables on my Esprit.
        EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
        '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
        '14 Evora
        '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

The bike cable was slightly over sized and had to be filed down, so it is not perfectly round. Since I have now broken two cables, I want to source the right one and get a few spares.

Rod
          Rod Swanson

Comment

Rod

What throttle bodies do you have?

I use Jenvey and bought my throttle cables from their dealer in Canada. http://haywardperformance.com/

Doug

Comment

My local Toro lawn mower store has a range of cables, and the barrel ends etc. A couple of bucks and presto.
              Chris
              ------------
              A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I have the 45 mm Jenvey Throttle bodies.
                Rod Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
                  My local Toro lawn mower store has a range of cables, and the barrel ends etc. A couple of bucks and presto.
                  Good idea. Are they Teflon lined?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                    Good idea. Are they Teflon lined?
                    That's just for the cable part. When I was doing the AmmoMotor project I went to a motorcycle website, Venhill USA and found what I was after fittings-and-housing wise. It was a motorcycle kit. The one I sourced from them has a teflon-lined housing. There was a peculiarity w/ the throttle bodies which forced me to find a different barrel than the ones I got from there, and the Toro shop had just what I needed.

I think Rod just needs the cable.
                    Chris
                    ------------
                    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I need the cable and the housing. Heat slightly melted the housing causing the throttle to stick. It looks like a combo solution, a motor cycle website for the housing/fittings, and the mower shop for the barrel.
                      Rod Swanson

Comment

Rod - You have mail (and I have cable).

edit -- The throttle cable I carry around as a spare is listed on the invoice as:

Stock Code: SBB 10176
                        Description: THROTTLE CABLE (RHD) -ROVER -LHD COSWORTH 2005>

It is quite short! Maybe about a 28" jacket assembly with about a 36" cable length.
                        I was able to find it on the Caterham Parts pages here under the same throttle cable part number as above - for آ£38! But if you need the housing, what can you do.
                        Last edited by Sean; November 5, 2014, 06:29 PM.
                        | | Sean

Comment

Pegasus will make a throttle cable to your specifications. Google pegasus auto racing. I was planning to replace my bicycle brake cable with a custom job until the Pegasus guy talked me out of it. He thought there would be no benefit. If you are melting cables it sounds like you need to solve that problem first. I run my cable over the top of the headers (through an insulated sleeve), around the front of the radiator expansion tank, and back to the throttle bodies. WHy? Because that's how long the bicycle cable is and it gives a nice, gentle curve to the cable. Five bucks, five minutes, carry a spare in the toolbox which has been there for almost 10 years now.

Comment

Agreed, I already pulled the headers out, they are headed out for ceramic coating. This is supposed to lower the temperature under the hood substantially. My cable did have an insulator around it provided my Wood. It was melted too. I plan to use a fiberglass header wrap around my cable to protect it. My cable makes the same route as yours, it is 45 inches long. I am having a couple new ones made by Hayward Performance.
                            my old cable was so melted that I could not pull the cable through without pliers. I am looking forward to the new setup.

Rod
                            Rod Swanson

Comment

Earl's in Gardena has insulated, reflective heat shield for Aerquip hose. As I recall, they offer it in -6 size. That would work much better than heat wrap.
                              Wide-body Birkin, 2.3l Duratec

Comment

Working...
                              X