Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zetec camshaft sensor connector

Hi all,

On my 2.0L dohc Zetec there is a camshaft position sensor, but is not connected to anything. What part (or part number) will correctly describe the two-lead connector that should attach to it? My google-fu fails me.

Here it is off the motor:
    CamshaftSensor.jpg

thanks

-russ

Ford Zetec Cam sensor 'pigtail'.

Pigtail is used for the repair connector. It may be available from Ford or others.

What ECU are you running? Does it have a customer wiring harness or stock? The wiring harness should have it already in place.

Generally if the ECU doesn't see the cam sensor it defaults to a batch fire mode vs sequential. My reading on this subject says there is not much difference power wise. YMMV.

Russ, Where are you located?

Comment

I have that sensor unconnected and it is basically just a plug for the hole. I would not worry about it.

The one time I had my car on the dyno for real it pulled about the same top power as Doug's SVT engine which may or may not have the sensor connected.

I do have the same Ford cam sensor (also identical to the flywheel crankshaft sensor) as inductive pickup for my speedo. Since I did not bother about a proper connector I just used 2 slim female spade terminals and sealed it with Ultra Black. Worked for the last 11 years...
      Last edited by slomove; August 24, 2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Leave the sensor disconnected.

The sensor allows the engine to sense which cylinder is currently on its intake stroke vs. its ignition stroke. It will only fire the injectors when the cylinder is on its intake stroke. The operating mode is called 720 degree mode since it fires the injectors for a given cylinder every other revolution.

When the cam sensor is disconnected, the engine can only sense the position of the crank (through the crank sensor by the flywheel), and does not know which of the two pistons currently moving downward are in the intake vs. ignition stroke. The ECU solves this by firing the injectors of both cylinders, meaning that one cylinder will inject on a closed inlet valve. This mode is called 360 degree, or banked injection mode.

Most of the fuel fired on the closed valve will be used during the next intake stroke when it gets sucked in together with the second (this time correct) fuel injection of that cylinder. There is, however, a ~7% increase in fuel consumption in 360 degree mode.

That said, my engine runs smoother, especially at idle, with the sensor disconnected, and I have no idea why.

/Magnus F.
        Last edited by magnusfeuer; August 25, 2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: Compression / Exhaust stoke replaced by correct Intake / Ignition stroke

Comment

Originally posted by magnusfeuer View Post

.....That said, my engine runs smoother, especially at idle, with the sensor disconnected, and I have no idea why.

/Magnus F.
          Maybe because the injector timing relative to the valve open time becomes more critical in 720 degree mode (did you adjust that)? Or maybe because the fuel mist has more time to vaporize when waiting a revolution in 360 mode? Just speculating. Actually I have no idea what I am talking about.

Comment

It could be the injector vs. valve open angle that is not right.

For some reason, my cam sensor fails intermittently and I haven't been able to nail why. So, for now, I simply run with it disconnected.

/Magnus F.

Comment

I live in the SF bay area, in a maze of twisty little roads, all alike.

The ECU is a MegaSquirt3 that I put together (replacing a WinTec2), and the pigtail has only what I've added so far.

I'm thinking of running sequential because I have all the parts for it already attached, except for two wires.

I believe sequential is supposed to help with smoother low idle, Magnus's experience notwithstanding. I think the TunerStudio software I'm running has functionality to map the injection via more than just the AFR table, so I can play with finding a low idle injection profile that might work without messing up the rest of the mapping.

And honestly, I haven't really debugged the map down low yet, so just getting that right might be sufficient.

Thanks for the ideas.

-russ

Comment

Working...
              X