Axle CV Joint Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle CV Joint Issues?

Over the past year or so, I’ve noticed some ominous sounds (clunks and knocks) emanating from the back of our Seven. They only happened at low speed (at least that’s when I could hear them), and usually when the clutch was depressed and we were rolling to a stop. The sounds occurred on smooth roads, so hitting a bump was not involved. More recently, I’ve noticed repetitive knocks at what I’d consider to be axle (not driveshaft) speed, again usually after de-clutching and rolling to a stop.

Does this sound like a CV joint problem in development? What's the check for CV joint wear? For u-joints, it was just looking for play. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Best wishes,
    Clark

Clark,

Yes, It could be a CV joint. You should be able to jack the car up and spin the wheel left and right to see if you can hear any issues. While you have it in the air, I would also check the wheel bearings and the differential mounting points. I have seen the mounts crack on high power cars.
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to be late in replying but I've been away for the past week or so.

I appreciate the tips and plan to spend some time crawling around under my car this coming weekend. I'll post what I find. That is at least, what I can find! Our Seven is a stock Zetec, so not alot of power there. Roger Swift over in England however did some extensive reinforcements to brace his differential. His car is Vauxhaul powered, producing in the neighborhood of 250hp. Having riden in his car, I can attest that his shifts from 3rd to 4th feel like mine from 1st to 2nd on a good day!

Best wishes,
      Clark

Comment

Hi,

I've been in contact with Chris T. at Sevens & Elans. Among other things, he recommends replacing ALL suspension bushings every five years or 15,000 miles on a Seven, or annually for a race car. Perhaps at 85,000 miles and fifteen years, mine is overdue! Still, the repetitive knocks at low speed. I haven't had time to investigate yet if that's an axle, or somehow a bushing problem.

Best wishes,
        Clark

Comment

I just tore down my rear suspension, replacing a broken diff bolt and some bent watts arms.

The rear bushings, as far as I can tell, are fine. No deformation or cracks and they do not give in when prying them. This is original rubber on my 2002 car that has about 17000 miles on it.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Working...
          X