Legacy parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy parts

As I spent a lot of time today poking around the engine to see what I could see, I found a lot of wires that terminated without connection. The original builder started with a carburetor'd Zetec, and decided after beginning the build to switch to fuel injection. We've already figured out they installed a Pectel T2 ECU and loom. These little guys are labeled Engine Map (green connector) and Fuel (red connector), and a couple that say Oil Press. I am guessing they are legacy wires not used in the current setup. I can't follow them yet, because they terminate into a mass of electrical tape that I'd like to undo and zip-tie. It may become evident they are useless, but I figured I'd ask if others have wires with no use in their engine bay. I thought the loom also had more wires than were needed for our setups, so maybe they are meant not to be used? I could check the diagrams sent to me by the other members, but I'm on a roll posting today.

IMG_1626.jpg

And then I found this tube coming from low on the port side of the engine (Zetec) that terminates into this handy cap at the aft of the engine, and it's clearly about to give way. I'll be replacing all hoses hopefully in time to get the car down to Ontario for the dyno day late July, but I was curious what this capped off tube used to do. It's not to the catch can, as that connection is working fine.

IMG_1622.jpg

Sorry for being the new guy with limited auto knowledge. Tell me where to send the check, or who to buy the beer. I'll have to bring extra cash if I get the car down to southern California.

Sorry for being the new guy with limited auto knowledge. Tell me where to send the check, or who to buy the beer. I'll have to bring extra cash if I get the car down to southern California.
    You don't have to do any of those things. That's why we're here. There's only a few of us and as the old saying goes, God heps thems what heps themselves, especially to the beer! :-) So just ask.

I don't know anything about Zetecs (except that they're heavy:-O) but Doug or Gert or someone else will be along directly no doubt.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by CASwede View Post
      ...These little guys are labeled Engine Map (green connector) and Fuel (red connector), and a couple that say Oil Press. I am guessing they are legacy wires not used in the current setup. I can't follow them yet, because they terminate into a mass of electrical tape that I'd like to undo and zip-tie. It may become evident they are useless, but I figured I'd ask if others have wires with no use in their engine bay. I thought the loom also had more wires than were needed for our setups, so maybe they are meant not to be used? I could check the diagrams sent to me by the other members, but I'm on a roll posting today.
      The Engine Map connector is engine manifold pressure sensor. The T2 uses RPM togtehter with either MAP or TPS (throttle position) to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine at any given time. Since your engine has separate throttle bodies for each cylinder, there is no plenum to connect the MAP sensor to. Hence the dangling connector. I am 100% sure that your T2 uses the TPS sensor to determine engine load. Tie down the MAP connector and forget about it.

The Fuel connector is most likely fuel pressure. The T2 can, if setup correctly, compensate for low fuel pressure by keeping the injectors open for a longer duration. This is an edge case that you will most likely never see. Tie down the connector and forget about it.

The oil pressure connector can be connected to an oil pressure sensor of the right type (I forget the make/model). I know that the T6 can do an emergency shutdown of the engine in case of low oil pressure, but I am not sure that the T2 has the same feature. In any case, the oil pressure sender usually fails more often than you see low oil pressure, thus triggering a false shutdown. Ask Doug. Tie down the connectors and forget about them.

Originally posted by CASwede View Post
      And then I found this tube coming from low on the port side of the engine (Zetec) that terminates into this handy cap at the aft of the engine, and it's clearly about to give way. I'll be replacing all hoses hopefully in time to get the car down to Ontario for the dyno day late July, but I was curious what this capped off tube used to do. It's not to the catch can, as that connection is working fine.
      That goes to the heater matrix, which you don't have. Replace the cap and forget about it.

Comment

I recommend you break down and buy the Raceline water rail for the Zetec. It replaces the stock thermostat housing and the unused tube that is capped off. The heater block off caps you buy these days fail just like yours is about to. Crap rubber.

If you cannot spring for the Raceline water rail use the correct size heater hose with a plug and a couple of hose clamps.

The cap will always fail about 10 PM on Sunday night 100 miles from home.

The Raceline water rail greatly simplifies the plumbing.
        Last edited by Doug Liedblad; June 26, 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Many thanks folks!

While looking around the internet for hoses I did stumble upon the Raceline water rail. That does look like the way to go.

Comment

Working...
          X