Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulleys

The Zetec engine I purchased may have Kent cams on it, so I thought I'd check out the pulleys and maybe pull the cam cover to see what I could see. It all appears stock on the outside. I unscrewed the hex screws holding the cam pulley cover on, but the cover wouldn't pull off, but I can't visually see where it's stuck. Do I just need to give it a heave-ho, and muscle it off? Perhaps there is a connection I'm missing, but I've circled the screws that I removed.

Cam pully cover.jpg

It looked like the bracket holding the alternator to the block was possibly the culprit, so I figured I'd loosen that bracket. However, on inspection, I noticed that it appears to be cracked.

IMG_1623.jpg

The alternator does not move at all freely, but I'm thinking I should probably replace that part. Has anyone else had this issue? I wouldn't have expected enough stress on that metal to crack it.

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_ZX2...ment_procedure

Three bolts seems to be it.

As for the bracket, replace or weld it. If that failsm you will have no water pump and most likely a shredded belt.

Edit: I now see that you have four bolts, thus indicating that the procedure in the linked page is for another version of the 2L Zetec. Sorry about that.

Comment

The alternator bracket is from MSI Motorsports in Vacaville. They made it when they were a Birkin Dealer. Call Larry and see if they have any spares.

The same thing happened to mine and we suspect it was misaligned. I have had no problems with it since correctly lining it up and getting new part. When cracked the charging voltage drops as the belt slips.

Comment

A quick call to Larry has indeed done the trick. He's mailing me the new bracket tomorrow. Thanks all.

Comment

Looking at my alternator I can see the wheel is bowed forward. If I put a new straight bracket on there, I'll have the same angle which will probably snap that end again.

I can change the position the alternator forward or backward, but I don't think I can change the angle. But if I move the alternator back a bit, at least the belt will be in line. It just won't seat perfect on the alternator. Right now the position of the alternator wheel is trying to pull the belt off the two lower wheels.

IMG_1629.jpg

I did find a paper on the ZX3 engine. In order to remove the upper pulley cover, I needed to remove the two bolts down low. Circled.

IMG_1627.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CASwede View Post
            Looking at my alternator I can see the wheel is bowed forward. If I put a new straight bracket on there, I'll have the same angle which will probably snap that end again.

I can change the position the alternator forward or backward, but I don't think I can change the angle. But if I move the alternator back a bit, at least the belt will be in line. It just won't seat perfect on the alternator. Right now the position of the alternator wheel is trying to pull the belt off the two lower wheels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1265[/ATTACH]
            Hello CASwede,
            You should look into fixing the angle of the alternator on your car as that will put undue stress on the belt and the alternator shaft and bearings and will eventually leave you stranded I would think or at least haveing you replace the belt more often than the normal due to wear which in the photo of the pully looks to be wearing the edge of the belt already.
            It could also be why the bracket is cracked from the load an stress of the angle the alternator is at.
            Oh well just a thought.
            Martin Keller
            Ventura, Ca.

Comment

What Martin said. The alternator definitely shouldn't be at that angle (in my opinion). From the picture it appears the upper bracket isn't necessarily the culprit and in fact may be the victim. Get under the car and see what the lower connection looks like. I'd be pulling the whole unit were I you.

Edit: Looky looky looky: Here comes cookie
              Last edited by moosetestbestanden; June 27, 2013, 07:39 AM.
              Chris
              ------------
              A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Okay. The lower bracket then will probably have a way to adjust the alternator from side to side, changing the angle. The top bracket shown is just a straight piece of metal, so no real option to change the angle there.

Comment

See the Installation Instructions on my dropbox link

HERE

You should have all the bits shown.

There is no adjustment on the lower bracket. Something is broken or installed incorrectly.
                  Last edited by Doug Liedblad; June 27, 2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1265[/ATTACH]

I did find a paper on the ZX3 engine. In order to remove the upper pulley cover, I needed to remove the two bolts down low. Circled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1266[/ATTACH]
                    You should not have to remove the two bolts circled but if you look just above the right hand bolt you can see the head of one of the two you do need to remove. It's recessed behind the belt. It's the same size bolt going thru the plastic as the top two.

I will email instructions from the factory manual.

Comment

Instructions received. My weekend is starting to look very busy in the garage.

Comment

..........My weekend is starting to look very busy in the garage.
                        I hope you have A/C in the garage. I had planned to work on my car but with temps about 95+ maybe not.

Comment

Does anyone have number for Larry at MSI...cannot find a number

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bearden View Post
                            Does anyone have number for Larry at MSI...cannot find a number
                            Messaged over to you. I spoke with them today, and they said Larry's out for a few days.

Comment

Now I know why the alternator was twisted in on-center. The bolt along the underside of the alternator that went through the main mounting bracket had snapped. So the alternator was being pulled forward by the pulleys, snapping the retaining bracket that crossed the front of the block. Time to hit the hardware store for a new bolt/nut. The bracket on the engine is lined perfectly with the other pulleys, so once I get a new bolt on there It should line up nice and straight.

IMG_1631.jpg

Cover finally came off as well. Doug's instructions showed where part of the pulley cover was supposed to be cut away to fit the new mounting hardware, but it wasn't cut. Wedged and stuck behind the mounting plate. Kent cams behind it. The only part I can see I'm missing now is the air trumpets. $65 each. So close to $300 after tax. Anybody have a thought on how necessary they are?

IMG_1632.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X