Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brise dry sump tank

Hey Magnus / Sean

When Tim at Brise made your dry sump tank, which side of the tank did he put the fittings for in and out? If you are at the front of the car looking towards the back are they on the right or the left?

Edit: I have a Pace and you have a Cosworth but I think the sump itself may have the fittings on the same side.

Sean, who made your dry sump?
    Last edited by moosetestbestanden; April 6, 2011, 07:56 PM.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Chris,

I don't know for sure, but I believe the dry sump is made by Cosworth, or at least designed by them. It has a chain-driven pump sitting in it, internally. The ports are on the lower left (intake) side of the engine, with "in" at the front and "out" nearer the middle.
    edit -- It looks like this. (click on "Additional Photos" to see the chain drive up close)
    edit 2 -- Hey Chris, you used to go on and on about how Duratecs do not need a dry sump, right? Or am I just confusing you with somebody who posts like you? :D

I do not have a Brise tank.
    Last edited by Sean; April 6, 2011, 09:23 PM.
    | | Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
      Chris,

I don't know for sure, but I believe the dry sump is made by Cosworth, or at least designed by them. It has a chain-driven pump sitting in it, internally. The ports are on the lower left (intake) side of the engine, with "in" at the front and "out" nearer the middle.
      edit -- It looks like this. (click on "Additional Photos" to see the chain drive up close)
      edit 2 -- Hey Chris, you used to go on and on about how Duratecs do not need a dry sump, right? Or am I just confusing you with somebody who posts like you? :D

I do not have a Brise tank.
      Well, I don't remember going on and on about it. Maybe going on, but not on and on.:D

This is a long (and possibly on-going) story but the short version is that OverThere the initial generally held belief was that the wet sump made by Raceline was all that was needed as there weren't any reported starvation issues w/ the thing. But as time passed and things evolved there were reports of cavitation problems (and oil temperature probably) at high rpm in high spec engines. So a dry sump was recommended. Then there were issues w/ the Cosworth internal one (so I was told) and so I ended up w/ a Pace. That leaked. Well, actually it didn't leak, it pissed oil all over the garage floor when I threw a liter of oil into the engine to see if I got one of the bad ones. So now I have a new sump that putatively won't do that which I haven't tested because I haven't put it on the engine yet because of the Crusty saga. Now that that's done I can proceed w/ the swap and I'm in the midst of assembling all of the bits that I'll need, starting w/ the tank.

You see, I'm as slow as you are.:D
      Last edited by moosetestbestanden; April 7, 2011, 08:22 AM.
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I have the same pump as Sean. It has worked very well for me, and I monitor oil pressure quite closely. 80-85 psi at RPM. The only issue was that the impeller scraped against the housing. I think you were there when we discovered it. Once we filed that down, it came together nicely.

My Brise tank looks like this.

For more pics (including the dry sump) and overall design reasoning, go through the duratec build thread:

http://californiacaterhamclub.com/ch...read.php?t=791

/Magnus F.

Comment

Working...
        X