Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sdcat
    replied
    I took the car in to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, so I can't take pictures right now. But it is a completely different pedal box than I've seen on other Caterhams. The brakes and clutch share a reservoir, and the master cylinders are in front of the box, which doesn't stick up above the frame much.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doug Liedblad
    replied
    Good idea to check the M/C first as that could cause the pedal problems too and much easier to fix.

If you can, please post a photo of your brake and clutch master cylinder setup.

Based on what you told me the other day, yours is different than the standard Caterham setup.

Thanks.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• sdcat
    replied
    Thanks, Chris. I'll look into that first.

Justin

Leave a comment:

• Sean
    replied
    Yes Chris, your thread appears below in the "Similar Threads" box near the bottom of the page. I just gave it a bump.

Leave a comment:

• moosetestbestanden
    replied
    Originally posted by magnusfeuer View Post
    Late to the game, but why would he need to bleed the clutch in the first place unless he has a leak that sucks air into the system?

I find it very hard to believe that the clutch fluid would have boiled since the slave cylinder it is situated so far away from the clutch plate itself.

I'd have a look at the fuzzy white stuff before I moved on to the bleeding operation.

My $0.02.

/Magnus F.
    My problem was w/ the master cylinder. The little rubber boot on the piston wears resulting in loss of effective pressure. Pretty common. In fact so common that you might want to look there before removing the engine. It's about $100 bucks for a new master cylinder or you can get a rebuild kit for the piston for less but I found that to be a bother.

A mushy pedal is exactly the symptom I was experiencing, w/ lack of disengagement. Bleeding the thing would have no effect because the problem hasn't been solved.

Why didn't I remember this days ago? Duh.

Leave a comment:

• magnusfeuer
    replied
    Weird.

A failed clutch plate would either slip or engage with a jolt.

My guess is an internal leak in either the master or slave cylinder. The master cylinder is fairly easy to switch, but the slave is an engine-out job. Have you spoken to Caterham USA about this since the car is so new?

/Magnus F.

Leave a comment:

• sdcat
    replied
    I just saw a tiny bit of fibrous material at the outlet where the hydraulic line comes out. I can't see into the bell housing, so I don't know how much. It kind of looks like fiberglass. Could be my imagination, but I'm wondering if it isn't a little bit of debris from the clutch plates. Will soon find out!

Leave a comment:

• sevenhead
    replied
    You can try the old racer trick of pouring a can of Coke down in there;)
    At the very least change that nipple out for a Speed Bleeder type so you don't have to worry about sucking air back in.
    Good luck.

Lee

Leave a comment:

• magnusfeuer
    replied
    Justin,

Could you describe the "fuzzy stuff"? We've already found pieces of metal in Morgan's bell housing, so it would be cool if we could add a small rodent to the collection.

/Magnus F.

Leave a comment:

• sdcat
    replied
    There we go!

Leave a comment:

• Sean
    replied
    Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
    Sean, is yours the Raceline bellhousing or the Titan?
    Titan (modified, w/ tabs welded on the bottom such that it mounts through six holes, instead of just the four across the top :rolleyes:).

...but this thread is about Justin's bellhousing and its contents, not mine.

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
    We'll pull the engine out and take a look at it.
    IMHO, a good time to re-configure for ease of service in the future, if you are so inclined.
    Best of luck, Justin. I hope it turns out to be some insignificant oops that is easy to correct. And referring you back to Chris's low-speed race reference, who will update their woefully outdated avatar first, you or Magnus? :)
    Last edited by Sean; January 17, 2011, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sdcat
    replied
    I was able to bleed the clutch today. (MLK day, so it's a holiday for us government folks!) It didn't change things. The clutch pedal still feels very soft, and does not disengage the clutch when depressed. We'll pull the engine out and take a look at it.

Justin

Leave a comment:

• magnusfeuer
    replied
    Late to the game, but why would he need to bleed the clutch in the first place unless he has a leak that sucks air into the system?

I find it very hard to believe that the clutch fluid would have boiled since the slave cylinder it is situated so far away from the clutch plate itself.

I'd have a look at the fuzzy white stuff before I moved on to the bleeding operation.

My $0.02.

/Magnus F.

Leave a comment:

• moosetestbestanden
    replied
    Mine is similar to Sean's, but older and dirtier :-O ISTR bleeding mine fairly easily the 2 times I've done it but it could be improved on. Sean, is yours the Raceline bellhousing or the Titan?

Leave a comment:

• Mondo
    replied
    Yeah, looks like they could of taken another step to make at nice as Sean's when they built it (at least a bigger opening). Hopefully your steel hydraulic line won't chaffe coming out of that hole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X