Zetec Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zetec Oil Change

I'd like to start doing my own oil changes, so while looking at the sump a few minutes ago I noticed there's an ~1 1/4" blue hex plug on the front of the sump and a 1" blue hex plug on the right side of the sump (as viewed from the cockpit). Can someone please tell me which drain plug is the one to use? One or the other or both? The motor is Caterham's supplied "202hp" Zetec with TWM/Pectel setup in an '02 Widetrack DeDion Roadsport. A quick reply will be really appreciated as I'd like to get it done today if possible. Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by Doug Liedblad; July 13, 2010, 06:51 PM.
    With Best Regards,
    Jim F.

Use the one on the side, the other is a tooling hole they had to put in to machine the hole for the oil pump pickup.

It might not be a bad idea to take the front one out after you drain the oil to be sure the screen inside is clear of gasket sealant. There was quite a lot in mine and a couple others I've had off.

You should only have to do this after removing and reinstalling the sump, not every oil change.

Doug

Comment

Sounds like you got a Raceline pan.

The front plug holds a little screen tube to filter out major debris (like pieces broken off your crankshaft ;-) and you should normally not have to remove that. I did it anyway, to install a temperature sensor in the plug and found the screen tube crushed and useless. So, at some point you my just want to have a look out of curiosity.

The drain plug is at the side. I usuall jack up the car a few inches on the left side to make sure to get most of the oil out of the sump.

Before you start, get a tight fitting hex socket (forgot the size). Using a 12-point socket or an open wrench may strip the hex off the soft aluminum plug (ask me how I know). Also, do not overtighten the plug or it may seize up and be really difficult to remove.

I eventually installed a brass hose barb in the plug to ease draining without removing the sump guard.

Comment

Doug beat me again. Now is that service or what?

Comment

and the plug is 1", as stated initially.
          2002 SV zetec/sierra; yellow over green

Comment

You can reuse the aluminum washers, I put a bit of sealer on them but I don't think it will leak if you don't.

Do not overtighten.
            Last edited by Doug Liedblad; July 13, 2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
              Doug beat me again. Now is that service or what?
              Well, he did have to wait over one hour. I'll try to do better next time.

Comment

Thanks much for the prompt replies, guys! Since I couldn't proceed until I had an answer I spent some time going through the archives and came across this same discussion previously....I vaguely remembered that this topic was brought up before, and sure enough, there it was: page 5 of 8 under Questions & Answers initiated by Box on 7/16/06 and responded to by you guys, Doug and Gert, and also Magnus. I appreciate your being there for support and your wealth of knowledge!
                With Best Regards,
                Jim F.

Comment

Gert, you are correct. I talked to Ben at Caterham Denver and he told me that in fact my sump pan is a Raceline unit made exclusively for Caterham but does not have any Raceline identifiers on it as near as I can tell. The front blue anodized aluminum plug is 1 1/4", BTW. I bought a 6-point socket today per your advice and pulled out the cylindrical brass screen for a cleaning to be on the safe side. I decided to let the sump drain for another day as I'm making the change to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 (on Ben's recommendation) and want to eliminate as much of the old oil as possible before I introduce the new. Thanks again!
                  With Best Regards,
                  Jim F.

Comment

Working...
                  X