• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade-itis starts: Half hood?

Thinking about one of these for the drive to Wisconsin:

http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/page4.html

thoughts??

Hey Rob,
    I have a similar thing for my Birkin. It's called a 'Birkini' Top.
    Keeps the sun off and is nice and cool. Quick and easy to put on but it's a bit of a yoga move to get in and out of the car when it's on. Still working on finding an elegant way to get in and out! Right now it's a lot of grunts and swearing....
    Paul. Birkin S3 /Dunnel zetec/emerald ECU

Comment

I would not drive long distance in hot weather without. But I know some folks do....

Dick Brink (http://www.texasmotorworks7.com/) used to make the Birkini style tops for Birkin as well as Caterham but not sure if he still got them. Might be worth a call. They are allegedly not as sloppy as the Softbits half tops but I have not compared it personally.

Comment

Paul, Gert,
        Thanks for the feedback. Got an inquiry in to texasmotorworks7s so we'll see what they have before I make a decision.

Comment

You could always get that "easy in" option with the zippered opening. This type of top is high on my list.

Comment

Mondo,
            yeah I saw that zipper option for easier ingress with the top on. I think I like that...

Comment

I have a soft bits one on my car if you want to check it out Rob. Unfortunately, it was bought when the PO had the original roll bar on the car, so now with the FIA bar which slants forward it doesn't fit as tight, but still works well enough. I've only used it once though on a really cold day in an attempt to keep some of the heat in the car
              www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Originally posted by V-Robb View Post
                Mondo,
                yeah I saw that zipper option for easier ingress with the top on. I think I like that...
                I have a SBFS half hood with the zipper opening and love it. I keep it on all summer to stay cooler. SBFS will also do a custom half hood with 2 zipper opening cutouts - one for driver and one for passenger. It mounts quickly and is pretty sturdy...it stays on tight even up to...ahem..."quick" speeds.
                Mike
                Caterham Seven CSR Cosworth Superlight

Comment

I would have liked to get a top from softbits, but they have refused to answer any of my 3 inquiries... Guess business must be good if you can ignore sales coming in on their own.
                  Herr Brink in Texas didn't have anything for the SV, and he even suggested that I find a local upholstery/convertible top repair place and see what they could do.
                  It's a shame the twonks at softbits can't get back to me. I think that would have been perfect.
                  Harummph!

Comment

Softbits is a small outfit (maybe even a one-woman shop?) and it is summer vacation time. Might be not a matter of customer neglect but just of resources?

Comment

Originally posted by V-Robb View Post
                      I would have liked to get a top from softbits, but they have refused to answer any of my 3 inquiries... Guess business must be good if you can ignore sales coming in on their own.
                      Herr Brink in Texas didn't have anything for the SV, and he even suggested that I find a local upholstery/convertible top repair place and see what they could do.
                      It's a shame the twonks at softbits can't get back to me. I think that would have been perfect.
                      Harummph!
                      As you're relatively new you are excused for intemperate writing about a known good supplier of custom bits for CC cars. You're on the fringe now, as only the English can do, so it's best to temper expectations accordingly. Soft Bits are known for inconsistent response but are by no means the worst in this regard (try Freestyle Motorsports sometime, isn't that right Sean?). And they're also known for making really good stuff (just like Freestyle Motorsports as Sean can testify), which will arrive eventually. Most likely they're on holiday, not an uncommon summertime pastime for people who live in the mostly dreary (weatherwise) UK.

Spend some time prowling around blat chat and search the archives. You'll find lots of conversation about the pros and cons of the various cottage suppliers who make quirky bits for quirky cars. For example, a recent thread revealed that carbon-bits.com's stuff has been purchased from the estate of the late great Richard In France (who moved to Scotland), and the new owners will start production again. Yay!

p.s.: The SV is frequently referred to as a 'FB Over There. Isn't that right Magnus?

p.p.s.: A top doesn't exactly qualify as upgrade-itis. Properly, that term is always reserved for performance related enhancements. Sunburn protection doesn't count.:D
                      Chris
                      ------------
                      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Hey moose,
                        I don't mean to be too snooty, but I HAVE been trying to get in touch with them for almost 4 weeks before popping off like that... So a little venting is allowed, no?
                        Besides, I can only wish I got so many weeks off!

Comment

I would suggest calling sbfs directly or going through their U.S. distributor. Info for either can be found on this page:
                          http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/page16.html

edit -- Being of foreign origin, it is entirely possible that all of your e-mails are being caught in their spam filter. Try the gmail account?

My experience is that any British company is slow to respond or act, but they are always exceedingly polite. This is in direct contrast to the typical U.S.-based companies.
                          Last edited by Sean; July 15, 2010, 10:41 PM.
                          | | Sean

Comment

Rob

Did you call them on the phone?

Several of the suppliers of Caterham parts don't seem to respond to emails but they do answer the phone.

Comment

Ok, I'll admit it: there's a bit of twonkitude on my part... Went to softbits home page to try an old-fashioned phone call - had only gone to the half hood page and ordering page via search links before - and quite clearly at the bottom it shows links for overseas orders... Oopsy.
                              So as I remove my foot from my mouth (or is it hand?) I've got an inquiry in to Rocky Mountain Motorsports which apparently distributes softbits parts.
                              Let's see what they say before my next diatribe...! ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X