Roll cage mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll cage mounting

I'm trying to get the motivation up to install my roll cage. It's a Caged rollcage from Caterham. I think the only way to do it right is to partially remove the inside panels to locate the place to drill holes in the outer skin for the four bolts on either side. The thought of taking out all those rivets and reinstalling the panels is kind of daunting! Any tips would be appreciated! I wish I had a frame without side panels on to compare it to before tearing up all the panels.

Justin
    Attached Files

Rivets n panels are pussy tasks next to pulling the Tillets, which is a minor annoyance next to the task of putting the Tillets back in.

Why wasn't it built w/ the cage?
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

What is a Tillet? They wanted the car to go to the magazines with just the regular roll bar. I'm sure part of was looks, and part was the weight. It is 1130 lbs with the standard bar, and will be about 1170 with the cage.

Comment

It's always a pain having to redo something.... good luck.

I'd love to have a cage like that... perhaps with the pieces of tubing your hanging it from being able to be removed for every day road use.

Comment

This makes riveting easy. At least the type used on a Seven.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93458

Practice on something else first as it tends to jump and scratch the parts you are working on if not done carefully.

Much easier than a hand riveter.

If you need rivets let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
            What is a Tillet? They wanted the car to go to the magazines with just the regular roll bar. I'm sure part of was looks, and part was the weight. It is 1130 lbs with the standard bar, and will be about 1170 with the cage.
            Tillet is the manufacturer of the seat. Chris, why is taking them out a PITA beyond the normal scope of the 4 bolts thru the floor. I plan to install the fiberglass Blackbird seat laster this season, and if that is truly comfortable, then swing that to the passenger side and get the bling seat for the driver.
            2002 SV zetec/sierra; yellow over green

Comment

Justin,

I have not done this job, but from what I understand you may need to stretch the cage to get it to fit. IIRC, you can use some rachet straps to get it in the right position (ie: connect the back and then pull the front into place). If this is the case, you are absolutly correct that you should find the holes from the inside.

I would lightly punch with a center punch from inside, then go to the outside, and reverse the punch so you have a location to hold the drill bit, drill the hole and then put a 45' chamfer on the hole to ease the fitting of the bolts. Of course if the mounting boss is not threaded, and you can get a drill in there, you can just drill them out from the inside. I would still recommend the chamfer. You will probably want some friends over to help the fitting of the cage so you don't end up scratching that nice paint!
              Tom "ELV15" Jones
              http://PIErats.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I weighed the roll cage this morning, and it is 40 lbs. The standard roll bar was 11.5 lbs, so I'll be adding roughly 30 lbs to the car, and most of it up high where it might be noticeable.

I don't think I'll be taking it on and off the car, since it has so many bolt points (12). It makes an already challenging entry and exit that much more difficult, so it might effect it's use as a passenger vehicle!

Comment

You will find that the full cage does stiffen the chassis quite a bit. I've driven both and it is very noticeable.

You are correct in that it does make getting in/out a bit more of a challenge - although with the race cage you have it is much easier than with the roadsport cage. You also have the option of dropping in/climbing out through the top hoops.
                  Tom "ELV15" Jones
                  http://PIErats.com

Comment

For what it's worth.

John West, who did my rear panel, said that he could build a full cage for the Caterham cheaper than the approx $3000 that Justin's cage cost (which is also not NASA racing compliant, sorry to say).

I've already ordered the FIA rollbar, but will probably have John extend it with side impact protection in order to survive that dreaded mustang.

If people are interested in having a NASA spec roll cage designed for the Seven, I'd be happy to arrange a group buy. If we can get ten of us together, we can probably get the price down to approx $2500.

I was a bit weary of having a hot rod shop do Caterham work until I discovered two things:

1. John West is from Heathrow, UK
                    2. The rod that he has as a daily driver is powered by a Rolls Royce V8 from -57 (if I remember correctly).

/Magnus F.

Comment

Ben at Cat USA obtained approval from NASA for the cage. It would be nice, though, to have a little more side protection.

Comment

If people are interested in having a NASA spec roll cage designed for the Seven, I'd be happy to arrange a group buy. If we can get ten of us together, we can probably get the price down to approx $2500.
                        I need to do something but I'm not sure what. The NASA cage that Jon / MM et. al. have is really heavy but crash-tested tough.

If what Justin says is true (and I will check w/ NASA) then the CC cage enters the frame again.

But... maybe something else, a track frame that can be taken off of the car relatively simply, kind of like the Petty strut is now. What I'd like most is removable driver's side protection, kind of a hybrid between the NASA cage & the CC cage.
                        Chris
                        ------------

Comment

John and I spoke fabricating about a removable extension to the FIA roll bar that would give me a front hoop with side impact protection. He showed me a really nifty connector that he had used for many years, but I don't know if it is allowed by NASA. Time to break out the old rulebook I guess.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by magnusfeuer View Post
                            John and I spoke fabricating about a removable extension to the FIA roll bar that would give me a front hoop with side impact protection. He showed me a really nifty connector that he had used for many years, but I don't know if it is allowed by NASA. Time to break out the old rulebook I guess.

/Magnus F.
                            A NASA certified cage is required only for race groups. I doubt I'll ever do that (not enough money, not enough time & note enough money) so whatever you guys are thinking about sounds interesting. I'm down w/ any idea that causes minimal drag, saves weight and works safety-wise.

ISTR that the front hoop of the cage that MM & Pierre had bolted to the underside of the frame. Adding removable driver's side and off side protection to a similar (if not identical) front structure would be ideal. I have some carbon half doors that work w/ the CC cage. It would be best if the removable bits integrated w/ those as well. I'll snap a pic and post it later to illustrate.

F'ing Stokes got down into the 1:44s at Buttonwillow (13 CW) last NASA event in his Norma . He took a full 3 seconds out of the (former) perennial 1st place runner w/ a V8 Radical. He says he likes driving a downforce racecar. No shit.
                            Chris
                            ------------

Comment

Working...
                            X