Emerald ECU tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerald ECU tuners?

Can anyone refer me to someone with experience tuning a Zetec with en Emerald M3DK ECU?

I'm having a heck of a time getting my new powerplant running, and I've just about reached the point that I'd rather just pay someone else to tune it.

Randall

I know Gert (slomove) has an Emerald and has done some mapping.

There are Emerald Maps you can download from some link on Blatchat too. Just to give you a starting point.

Doug

Comment

I have an Emerald ECU that was installed and tuned by JBA Racing in San Diego. They are a bit expensive, but have a dyno and experience with my Zetec in the Caterham.

Their website is:

http://www.jbaracing.com

If you'd like my map, I could send it to you. I'm not sure how close it would be to your setup. I've got Jenveys, headwork, and Kent cams.

Justin

Comment

Two summers ago(?) we had a mapping session, where Gert's car was included. I would compare Gert's and your engine. If they are close enough, you can probably use his map as a starting point. Ask him nicely and he'll probably mail it to you.

A word of warning: Detonation/heavy knocking under load in a Zetec will shatter its stock sinter cast rods within one second. Be careful when you try out a new map.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
          I have an Emerald ECU that was installed and tuned by JBA Racing in San Diego. They are a bit expensive, but have a dyno and experience with my Zetec in the Caterham.

Their website is:

http://www.jbaracing.com

If you'd like my map, I could send it to you. I'm not sure how close it would be to your setup. I've got Jenveys, headwork, and Kent cams.

Justin
          One of my better maps is attached (renamed from.fig to .txt to allow upload).

However....this assumes 30-pound Bosch injectors running at 40.5 psi. A minor detail that I am running a 2kOhm resistor parallel to the TPS to achieve better low end resolution. If yourv setup is different you need to modify this.

At the end....without a wideband lambda probe the whole thing become a complete guessing game or I should better say almost impossible unless you copy exactly a certain setup. Going to an experienced dyno operator is surely a good bet but obviously expensive. Given the limited time they can map the most critical areas of your engine but that will still leave a a lot of uncharted territories on the injection map.

I suppose the ignition map has much more latitude and you could use what I got. It is a bit more on the conservative side for reasons Magnus mentioned and Doug knows about ;-)

After several years I am still watching the lambda results once a while and tweak here or there. But that is a bit of idle hobby because given the limited reproducibility on the next drive it will look different again.

Gert
          Attached Files
          Last edited by slomove; September 5, 2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I trhink you mean Magnus re: detonation.

Although I knew that too.

Comment

I've got a couple of different maps to start from, already--one from Emerald, that I couldn't even start the car, and one from a Birkin that Larry Anderson tuned (that's what I'm working with now). I do have a LC1 wideband sensor, so you'd think that I *should* be able to sort this out, but it's not coming together for me. I also have Eagle rods, so I'm not *as* concerned that detonation will destroy my motor.

I've had some mixed success, so far. At one point, I had the car on the road, but I knew the MAP sensor was bad. I changed the MAP sensor then, ever since, I feel lucky the few times I can coax the car to start and idle--and that isn't reproducible. Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
                Thanks, Justin.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                  I trhink you mean Magnus re: detonation.

Although I knew that too.
                  corrected

Comment

Working...
                  X