Weatherstripping for hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherstripping for hood

I have had my car painted (can' wait to get it back!), and am having trouble finding the thin foam weatherstripping for between the hood and body. Anyone know of a source for this? It's the only thing I need to finish it.

Thanks,

Justin

McMaster Carr

They have a couple of types, I'll try to find the part numbers and post them in a bit.

Doug

Comment

McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com

I use 1" wide closed cell foam under the edges of the bonnet. You can put it on the chassis side or the bottom of the bonnet. I do the chassis but only because it came that way.

Part number 8694K68 - Weather-and-Fire-Retardant Foam Neoprene/EPDM/SBR, PSA-Backed, 1/8" Thk, 1" W, 50'L
      In stock at $8.52 Each

For the front of the scuttle / under back edge of the bonnet I use 1/2 wide.

Part number 8694K16 - Weather-and-Fire-Retardant Foam Neoprene/EPDM/SBR, PSA-Backed, 1/8" Thk, 1/2" W, 50'L
      In stock at $4.90 Each

I've used laquer thinner to remove old tape after it's been on for awhile.

I don't have paint so didn't have to worry about what the solvent might do to the paint. Test it or find something less agressive.

I'm sure there are other souces but this is cheap, you'll have enough for years. I did get some open cell by mistake and seem to recall that it did not last.

Doug

Comment

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...30H&lpage=none

You should be able to find this stuff at lowes/home depot.

Just check your thickness and width before you buy.

Comment

I have had my car painted
          How much does it weigh?:D
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Thanks for passing on such detailed info! I went by to pick up the car today, and the paint had a lot of flaws in it - like when I try to paint something myself and get those little craters and bumps in it. I hope they can get it smoothed out in time to go to Willow Springs in a week and a half. It's fun getting the car looking good, but I missed an autocross and several track days to do it. Can't wait to have it back!

I think the paint did add some weight - they used an etcher, primer, paint, and clear coat! If they used about a quart each, I'd guess I probably added about 10 lbs to the car. They were also able to sand and recoat the carbon fiber fenders, which looked very worn and now look brand new!

Justin

Comment

You need to post up some pics when you get a chance

Comment

May I ask how much the paint job set you back?

/Magnus F.

Comment

I haven't gotten a bill yet, but I believe it will be about $1500. They said the aluminum etcher/primer was pretty expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
                    I haven't gotten a bill yet, but I believe it will be about $1500. They said the aluminum etcher/primer was pretty expensive.
                    That sounds pretty cheap...I had a paint shop quote me a full pain some years ago and they told me something like $4000. Maybe totally overpriced and obviously I did not go for it. But they said the labor of exactly masking off everything so that the etching primer does not get to the chassis would be serious.

Gert

Comment

Working...
                    X