SVT Coil-on-Plug ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT Coil-on-Plug ignition

Eliminates the distributor and plug wires (always trying to clean up a crowded engine bay) , plus picked up a couple of hp and lbs-ft using copper plugs instead of the platinum ones. Before and after pictures included, plus a dyno chart of stock with a .051 plug gap on platinum plugs (run 50), stock with a .060 gap (51), then COP with copper plugs at a .060 gap (59). Nothing like adding lightness (to the car and my wallet at a mathematically related pace-go figure!). Thanks to Mike Trendel, who said he might be coerced into making a few more, if anyone's interested.

Btw, if the graph looks a little different than my last one seen here, I think it's because the cam timing might be a little off. We replaced the stock oil pump with one of CFM's billet aluminum geared ones, and my torque and hp bubble at 5000 rpm has gone (this is the first time I've been on the dyno since before the new pump. The oil pressure is higher with the new pump, as much as 2 bar. The only 2 culprits would seem to be oil pressure or cam timing, and most people I've spoken with discount oil pressure as the perpetrator. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hey, I hijacked my own thread! 0-full thread drift at R500 speed!!

The oil pressure WAS the culprit. Excess pressure was preventing the VCT from operating properly, costing me my torque peak. As soon as the stock pump was installed, the proper power curve returned. Hooray!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by athens7; May 9, 2009, 06:58 PM. Reason: Added dyno chart with correct VCT operation
    Brad
    2013 Boss 302 Mustang
    2005 SV Roadsport (gone but not forgotten)

I am almost afraid to ask, what does a set up like this cost?
    Rod Swanson

Comment

Mike says he can do them for $295, with a stainless steel base like mine, slightly less with a plastic base. The purchaser would have to have the supplied connector spliced into the wiring harness, otherwise, it's a plug and play solution. Also, it fits under the factory 'Powered by SVT' cover (a nice cosmetic touch).
      Brad
      2013 Boss 302 Mustang

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Bard, i do appreciate that. Nice site guys.

Comment

I have finished my COP on my Zetec

I got the coils and connectors from Mike, (Thanks Mike) but they did not fit under the original Raceline cover. So I enlisted the help of a friend with a mill and we milled the top off of the cover. (Raceline was not paying for the advertising space anyway). Next we made cutouts for the coils and we added mounting holes for the hardware. The whole set up works well and cleans up the engine area. It also takes four pounds off of the car.
          Attached Files
          Rod Swanson

Comment

Congrats, Rod! I didn't know what the weight savings were; it's good to know. My COP has been installed for 6 months with no problems, and I have been to 6 autocrosses plus the usual road driving. Btw, a bump to my old post, with an after picture and a corrected dyno chart.
            Last edited by athens7; May 9, 2009, 07:00 PM.
            Brad
            2013 Boss 302 Mustang

Comment

Working...
            X