Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

PN/source for connector: car loom-to-engine loom interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PN/source for connector: car loom-to-engine loom interface?

Does anybody know any specifics about the loom interface connector on the Caterham vehicle loom? My engine loom has a (very) different connector for this interface. I would like to obtain a mating connector for the more robust-looking vehicle loom connector, if possible, and replace the wimpier-looking engine loom one. As a bonus, it would be easier to work on the harness not already installed. ;)

...or maybe I just need to push 'em together harder? :)

Photos: rectangular sea foam green conn is engine loom, and square-ish gray+white conn is vehicle loom
    Attached Files
    | | Sean

Sean,

I suspect the latter is an AMP connector. Check here for a matching connector Tyco (this may take some real digging)

Or, check with these guys for a replacement weatherproof connector:http://www.waytekwire.com/sealed-aut...connectors.htm
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Comment

The one the USA Zetecs use is an AMP 13 pin connector. The gray one looks like the Caterham UK supplied connector to the chassis.

Caterham USA was able to supply me with an extra 13 pin connector when I needed it. The attached is only the housing not the plug.

Have you tried Caterham UK for the UK style connector? See also the wiring diagrams in the Assembly guide.

You'll need a crimp tool for open barrel connectors.

Get extra terminals, both male and female. Also extra weather seal plugs.

Another option to taking what you have apart is to find the mating part to each and build and adaptor.

See here too: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/homepage.php

The only reasonable shipping I've found is by the UK to US Mail system. It takes about one week.

The Weatherpack connectors might be easier to find but I don't know if they come with enough connectors. Pegasus also sells them.

This should have been something the chassis builder sourced for you. If you have an extra year he can probably get it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Doug Liedblad; June 13, 2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Issue is tentatively sorted (thanks Magnus!). Suitable mating connector should be available to me in the next week or so.
        | | Sean

Comment

Well, it turns out that the mating half of the interface connector on the vehicle loom is simply nowhere to be found in this country, from what I have been told. I am amazed that Cosworth USA have supplied a wiring loom with a connector that cannot interface with what I believe to be Caterham's standard vehicle loom interface connector, and they have even told me that they have never seen a connector like that! Maybe CSRs use a different one?

I'm now seeking one from Cosworth UK or Caterham UK, as I'd prefer to keep the standard Caterham-supplied part if possible

Doug - Why do you say the chassis builder should source a connector found on the engine loom?

edit -- It is a Tyco connector, I believe made for Bosch in Germany, and not normally available in the U.S., but can be purchased here as long as one orders the minimum lot of 2,500 units or something along those lines. So all I need is to locate 2,499 other people with the same issue, and I'm good to go down that route.
          Last edited by Sean; July 2, 2008, 02:23 PM. Reason: to add the stuff after "edit"
          | | Sean

Comment

Sean

I would think it is a standard Caterham UK part. The assembly guide shows both halfs, section 19 pgs 3,4,5.

I was assuming Freestyle would know this and provide the connector. Acutally I was assuming Caterahm UK sent one along with the chassis. This must be a common problem.

Doug

Comment

I assumed Cosworth USA would know this! How the hell can they say they have never seen a connector like that before if it is the standard one used by Caterham?
              edit -- I bought my engine loom from Cosworth USA, and they were aware it was for installation into a Seven

I am now waiting to hear back from Cosworth in the UK on this issue, as I feel it is Cosworth's responsibility to provide me with an engine harness that is usable with the standard Caterham vehicle harness interface connector.
              Last edited by Sean; July 2, 2008, 03:26 PM.
              | | Sean

Comment

Sean,

Do you have a part number? If so, you should be able to order a "sample" directly from Tyco ...or ask Magnus order a sample via his company (they seem to like orders from electronics companies). They will send you up to 12 of them for free.
                Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Update:

Cosworth determined that I required a different engine wiring harness than was originally supplied, so I returned it, and the other one was ordered from the U.K. I have been told that it arrived last Friday in Torrance, and will be shipped to me soon. Cool.

Now if I can just get that dang oil pressure sender from Freestyle...
                  | | Sean

Comment

Sean

I think I asked you this before but is this a standard Caterham oil pressure gauge or something unique to your car or Freestlye?

If a standard Caterham oil pressure gauge, just get a mechanical one.
                    The Caterham senders are a weak point, fail too often and are not accurate.

A good aftermarket electrical one should be good too.

Doug

Comment

It's the standard Caterham one. I've still got a few other things to complete at the moment though, so for now the gauge thing remains on the back-burner.
                      | | Sean

Comment

oil pressure gauge

Hi Sean,

If you run a remote mount like Julian did (3/4 of the way down the page):
                        http://www.btinternet.com/~v11ufo/SLR.htm

You will find that it holds up much better than if it is fitted to the block. I mounted mine this way with a couple of rubber grommets to isolate it from frame vibrations too.
                        Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Harness received. I hope to fit it this weekend. Cosworth USA have consistently come through for me with help in my non-standard installation. A big kudos to them!
                          | | Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                            Sean

I think I asked you this before but is this a standard Caterham oil pressure gauge or something unique to your car or Freestlye?

If a standard Caterham oil pressure gauge, just get a mechanical one.
                            The Caterham senders are a weak point, fail too often and are not accurate.

A good aftermarket electrical one should be good too.

Doug
                            I finally gave up on the electrical gauge (I have an aftermarket one from VDO Vision series). While I appreciate the fact not having to run a high pressure hose to the dash the performance of this sender/gage combination sucks. It is:
                            - pretty non-linear
                            - does not show pressure below 10 psi and barely below 20 psi
                            - changes heavily with battery voltage changes (e.g. fan running or not)
                            - has only a 90 degree sweep, reducing visibility of the reading
                            - appears to be a bit vibration sensitive

I am going back to the mechanical gauge that I still have on my shelf (also VDO) and just buy a good quality braided hose. The flimsy plastic hose connection kit from VDO is also pitiful.

I suppose there are better quality aftermarket analog pressure senders and gauges (maybe the nice ones from Stack?) but then it would not fit the appearance of the other gauges.

Gert

Comment

I understand these folks make a complete mechanical replacement kit for the Caterham electrical oil pressure gauge setup, including a matching gauge.
                              http://www.thinkauto.com/index.html
                              It's one of the things on my unending upgrade list.
                              Brad
                              2013 Boss 302 Mustang
                              2005 SV Roadsport (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Working...
                              X