Brake bias proportioning valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake bias proportioning valves

I've been playing around with my suspension settings with the help of David L., and am pretty happy with the balance for exiting corners and slaloms, and the car behaves well entering corners if not braking. I've even been able to dial in a little understeer, which makes me feel much safer! I would like to be able to trail brake into corners, though, and the rear still steps out quite a bit when I do this. Having learned to drive in cars with ABS, I'm now having to learn a whole different style of corner entry.

I've read on blatchat that some have used brake proportioning valves to help cure this tendency. Anyone done this on their cars or have the same problems when trail braking? Wilwood has a valve that looks like it wouldn't be too hard to install.

Thanks,

Justin
    Last edited by sdcat; April 12, 2008, 11:52 AM.

I have not used a proportioning valve but I wonder if a few more suspension tweaks could cure this? Ride height perhaps?

Tom
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Comment

Tom,

I think I might improve on it some by fine tuning the suspension, but the impression I'm getting is that cars without ABS tend to need more front brake bias on heavy braking into corners. It might just be a matter, too, of me learning to drive. :) The other car I was considering buying when I got the Caterham was an Evo, but they have so many driving aids I'm not sure I would improve my skills. I'm very glad I made the choice I did, but I think I learned a lot of bad habits driving a car with driving aids before!

Justin

Comment

Justin, another factor in braking is the pads. Have you checked what pads you are running? ...different pads on the front vs rear can cause quite a bias.
        Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

I'm using the standard road pads on both front and rear. I think these are the stock pads that Caterham supplies. RMSCI recommended them as a decent street/track pad, which would not wear my rotors too much. I see on blat chat that the mintex pads are popular, with different compounds front and rear.

Good suggestion. Maybe I should start with putting a higher friction pad on the front.

Comment

After spending some time on blat chat, it seems that brake biasing is a common problem, and many achieve a better brake bias balance using standard rears and a high friction front. One of the more popular fronts is the Mintex 1144, which is listed as a fast road/competition pad. I think I'll try these out.

Comment

Justin, sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Tom
              Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

I have this problem to a certain extent but haven't bothered to try any fixes. Ultimately I think I'll install a proportioning valve just because they're cool. But that's kind of far down the upgradeitis list. For 1, there's suspension tweaks to come before this.
                Chris
                ------------
                A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I ran an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve in my Locost, but was never, ever, ever able to get the rear tires to lock, ever. Over winter I changed to properly-sized twin master cylinders and a balance bar and the difference was WELL worth the effort. Keeping in mind of course, that previously my braking system was Chevette fronts and Corolla everything else, not a more effectively-thought-out Caterham venture.

G

Comment

Put this in today - can't wait to try it out! It's a very simple installation, just goes inline with the rear brake line.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X