Smog inspecton complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smog inspecton complete!

I made it through the BAR inspection today. My test was at Evergreen College in San Jose. They were familiar with the "SPCNS" code and were very very nice. They did not put the car on the rollers, but did sniff the tailpipe...both at idle and at 2500 RPM. I had a _lot_ of trouble keeping it at 2500 RPM (basically I couldn't! Talk about a hair trigger throttle! :shock: ).

He did make a comment about the breather and the fuel pressure gauge, but said it did not matter because the car was exempt (smogged as a 1965 Lotus).

He made no comment about using the Caterham chassis number as the VIN.

It took about an hour to do the inspection and to get all of the paperwork completed. They gave me an exemption sticker to put on the firewall (or scuttle if you prefer). There was no charge! :D

Tom
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Congratulations!

/Magnus F.

Comment

So are you done yet Tom?
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

registration

Well, I'm not quite done. I need to get the "brake and light" inspection. I stopped at one garage today and they were not sure exactly what to check so they called Sacramento...the response was: check the normal stuff: headlight alignment, indicators, brake lights. Also check the rotor thickness <arrgh>, take it for a test drive to make sure it stops. The mechanic was worried about the reverse light being too low, but Sacramento did not seem to mention it.

The mechanic was convinced that the front uprights are from a Mustang II, and was just going to look up the specs for their rotors...however, his boss wanted to see the specs from Caterham. So, I'm waiting to get the "offical" document and then go back.

The DMV said I have everything I need, except the brake and light inspection. So, one more hurdle to go.
        Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Did you check the edges of the rotors?

[email protected] USA claims that the minimum thickness should be stamped there.

/Magnus F.

Comment

rotor thickness

Hi Magnus,

I just checked one of the front rotors (Std brakes)...no stamping on it anywhere. :(
            Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

Interesting how everyone runs into different
              situations getting their cars registered...

At the Brake inspection I initially failed because
              I had neglected to hook up the low fluid warning
              sensor. Then on return he simply wrote 'all parts
              are new' and didn't check any further...

I too have the DMV 'blue tag' mounted under the
              bonnet on top of the pedal box (next to the
              Caterham plate since my frame wasn't stamped
              on the pedal box like most)

I was also inspected (BAR) at Evergreen College
              and the Smog info sticker is on the firewall. I've
              seen other cars where that sticker has been
              placed in the passenger footwell.

Fun stuff.

Comment

Hi John,

Where did you have your inspection done?

Tom
                Tom "ELV15" Jones

Comment

I am assuming you mean where did I get my
                  Brake Inspection. It was at a Shell station near
                  Santa Cruz, CA. (Corner of Capitola Road and
                  7th Avenue) They did the lamp adjustment and
                  inspection as well. I live in the Bonny Doon area.

Comment

When the CHP inspected my car the guy insisted that the blue sticker be on the scuttle. His reasoning was that when you get stopped by the gendarmes the VIN # must be visible and in a permanent location. If you were to put it on the windshield it would be removable. The registration process seems to be sort of a moving target :!: :idea: :?: 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Roll a 7
                      When the CHP inspected my car the guy insisted that the blue sticker be on the scuttle. His reasoning was that when you get stopped by the gendarmes the VIN # must be visible and in a permanent location. If you were to put it on the windshield it would be removable. The registration process seems to be sort of a moving target :!: :idea: :?: 8)
                      Brad-
                      My exterior VIN is stamped in the metal frame which supports the aeroscreen on the driver's side. It is removeable by taking out 3 bolts, but the CHP accepted it and didn't assign a new VIN or put a "blue sticker" on mine. Go figure....

TT
                      Tom Tweed
                      \'67 911S (been in my family since new)
                      \'73 911E (R Gruppe #232)
                      \'78 LeGrand Mk.18 DSR
                      WCM S2K Ultralite (SCCA Solo2 D-Mod car)
                      1991 Miata (SO\'s daily driver)
                      2001 F-250 PSD (work truck and tow vehicle)

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, my CHP officer placed the number just to the left of where the steering column goes through the firewall. Nice of him, the only bummer being that the ass end of the rivets stick through into the engine compartment. I'd affixed the Caterham supplied number prior to the visit and I also showed him the stamped number on the frame. That was enough to satisfy him that there was more than one place where the number exists, so he did not affix a 2nd number in a non-visible location.

Just the brake n light to go now, which may end up being the worst of all. Did someone say 'go figure'?
                        Chris
                        ------------
                        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Working...
                        X