Trailer Title Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Title Question

I have had my old crappy open bed trailer for the Seven titled with a CA "permanent" registration that listed things like empty weight (was already incorrect before) etc.

Now I have completely re-built the thing, expanded and strengthend the frame and added a closed shell with doors and windows. Understandably the empty weight almost doubled. To complicate the matter, I lost the cheap stick-on VIN tag already years ago.

Question is:

A) Do I just put on the old license plate and use the thing?
    B) Should I better go to the DMV and get the title/registration info updated? If so how can I prove that the trailer is still the old one without the VIN tag (I do have photographs to document the build progress). How complicated can this be?

Thanks,

Gert

I'd put the plate on and drive it.

However I don't think my word will carry any weight with the arresting officer.

Was the VIN tag put on by the DMV or did it come on the trailer?

Doug

Comment

Doug, thanks for the opinion. I was somewhat leaning to this option....

The VIN tag was a dot printed metal film stuck on by the manufacturer. It first faded in the sun and partially peeled off over time. But the DMV used this number for their records.

Comment

1. you should have the VIN number on the registration, make your own vin tag? May be illegal. No one will care. Same disclaimer as before.

2. Call mfg and ask for replacement.

3. Ask the DMV, I am sure this has happed to them before.

4. Go to CHP maybe they can give you a new VIN number as they do for Caterhams. Don't use one of the 500 numbers please.

5. Don't worry about it unless trailer is stolen.

If you are the worrying type than this says you should go get a replacement from the DMV. At least I think it does.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d04/vc10751.htm

Doug

Comment

my advice ?!?

Gert,

1. you should have the VIN number on the registration, make your own vin tag? May be illegal. No one will care. Same disclaimer as before.

2. Call mfg and ask for replacement.
          I like Doug's suggestions, but I'd do #2 first and if they can't help you, then do #1. I mean, it's not like you are putting the tag on some other vehicle - this is the tag that is on the trailer you registered! I'd just use a label printer and print out the VIN again and not worry about it.

...but then again, my word is probably not going to mean much to the officer that pulls you over either!! :eek: :(
          Tom "ELV15" Jones
          http://PIErats.com

Comment

Whatever you end up doing, just tell 'em I authorized it. That ought to get you somewhere! :rolleyes:
            | | Sean

Comment

trailer title

Hi Gert, if you have the title and reg. for it just stamp in the vin # into the frame and that should be good enough, alot of trailers are done that way. I happen to have a set of number and letter die's. Steve

Comment

Thanks! Good recommendations....

Doug, if you wanted to ease my concerns that extract of the vehicle code did it ;-)

I will just stamp the number in the steel frame (I have a set of die punches).

Gert

Comment

Working...
                X