Daily Maps in Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Maps in Google

If you want to follow what we are up to, you can use these Google routes (don't forget the satellite/hybrid view...):

Saturday 8/18

Sunday 8/19

Monday 8/20

Wednesday 8/22

Thursday 8/23

Friday 8/24

Saturday 8/25

Sunday 8/26

Tuesday 8/28

Wednesday 8/29

Thursday 8/30

Friday 8/31

Saturday 9/1

Sunday 9/2

Your Sunday 8/26 drive would be *mucn* nicer if you take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay across to Nanaimo. The drive down the island is better than the traffic across the city. I would suggest that you all pop into downtown for a quick view and giro around Stanley park and then head back over the Lions Gate bridge - the drive to Horseshoe Bay is only a couple of minutes once over the bridge. The ferry ride is shorter too, and Horseshoe Bay is scenic while Tsawwassen is nothing more than a ferry terminal built on a bog. Be advised that ferry line-ups can be lengthy on Sundays, although returning to the island is usually (somewhat) less crowded that island - mainland. You may wait a boat or two, unless you reserve.

Note that the road to Whistler is under construction. They're blasting *lots* of granite in order to widen it for the 2010 games so much of the drive ain't great road-wise. You will be forced (by multiple speed traps and traffic) to travel at 50 kph along a good portion of the road between Lions Bay and Squamish. The road surface is all ****ed up because of the tracked vehicles that are working at removing all the blasting remnants. I was riding there last weekend and it sucked.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Chris, thanks for the input. I’m a bit biased (I’ve been to Vancouver on several occasions and hate city driving/parking in the Westfield), so I prefer a reroute to Horseshoe Bay. Given the short driving time from Whistler (~65 miles vs. 100 miles to Tsawassen), we could get an early start to avoid the construction traffic and ferry lines, and grab the 10:40am ferry to Nanaimo. Vancouver Island has a lot of great driving roads and is very scenic, so there are some other plusses to an early arrival.

Ferry Schedule from Horseshoe Bay to Nainamo
      Ferry reservation system

-John
      Westfield SEiW
      2.0L Duratec
      Throttle Steer

Comment

John, Chris,

makes a lot of sense. After all, I don't know the area and the ferry choice did not come up so far.

The ferry reservation would be a good idea if we can pinpoint our arrival with sufficient accuracy. But I suppose we can do that from somewhere en route.

Gert

Comment

I notice you guys will be in Victoria two nights. I was just there in July, and had a fantastic meal at Pescatore's (http://www.pescatores.com/). Somewhat expensive, but casual attire not a problem, our waiter was very on the ball, and arguably the best seafood dinner I've ever had (I ordered a halibut dish from the specials board that night that the waiter suggested). Found the place through a strong recommendation by a local. 5 stars, Joe-Bob says check it out.
          - Sean

Comment

Thanks Sean, looks like a good tip!

Comment

No visit to Vic is complete until you go down to the floating docks to Barbara's for fish n chips. It's by the house boat farm and can be accessed via harbor taxi. Also, the Bengal Lounge in the Empress is a must for cocktails, terrific Indian food and olde English colonial atmosphere. Not to be missed.

Vic is pretty small - all the interesting parts can be accessed by foot.

One other thing: the city is ruthless about parking - don't even think about overtime parking. You will get a ticket.
              Chris
              ------------

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden

Note that the road to Whistler is under construction. They're blasting *lots* of granite in order to widen it for the 2010 games so much of the drive ain't great road-wise. You will be forced (by multiple speed traps and traffic) to travel at 50 kph along a good portion of the road between Lions Bay and Squamish. The road surface is all ****ed up because of the tracked vehicles that are working at removing all the blasting remnants. I was riding there last weekend and it sucked.
                A friend was through there a week or so ago and had a four (!!!) hour (!!!) delay.
                ---john.

Comment

Great....but looks like there is no alternative for this stretch of the road. It will be Sunday morning, though. Not sure if that helps or not. But another reason to maybe not reserve the ferry if we don't know when we get there.

Thanks for the other recommendations Chris. I had hoped to lose a pound or two on this trip. But that begins to look futile.

Gert

Comment

Sunday morning should be OK. There's no work done on weekends. I rode through there on a Sunday afternoon and the traffic was moving and not too thick. Sounds like John's friend got caught up in a construction related stoppage.

As you pass Horseshoe Bay and continue south on 99 (which you must do anyway in order to get over to the other side of the highway to join the ferry queue) you'll be driving along "the upper levels", the name of the 4 lane freeway that is part of the Trans Canada highway. Because you must do this you might as well continue a few more clicks (literally only a few minutes) along to the turn-off to Cypress ski area. Exit right, turn left over expressway then continue winding back around to the west and then to the east and follow the road up. About 3.5 miles along this route is a vista point that offers up a breathtaking view of Vancouver and beyond, and beyond that even. This too is not to be missed, provided the weather is cooperative.
                    Chris
                    ------------

Comment

Working...
                    X