Hotel Reservations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Reservations

I have sent an email with the hotel contacts to all the folks who have signed up or which may still be on the fence.

If you are planning to come on the tour and did NOT get this email please let me know. Some hotel deadlines are coming up soon.

Gert

I'm doing well making my reservations, with only Vacaville and Whistler to go. All the receptionists have been friendly and are interested in seeing our cars this summer.

On a procedural note, is this forum where we will continue "official" PNW2007 discussion? Sooner or later I would like to ask the more experienced tourers what to pack (or not pack), tools to bring, etc. I know a few of you were on the USA2005 tour and probably have some good suggestions based on experience!

Stan

Comment

Gert did have a mailing list setup on se7ens.net, but I believe he decided that this forum would be the place for offical communications. (Gert Please Confirm!)
      Tom "ELV15" Jones
      http://PIErats.com

Comment

Yes, this is the plan. I had even asked the administrator of Se7ens.net to close the other list to avoid confusion. But it seems this got lost. Maybe I try again.

As for the stuff to take along....I attached my personal checklist (updated from 2005 tour) that could be used as a template. Obviously not everybody is going to take the same stuff on tour but this list has worked well for me.

Good to hear that the reservation process is going smoothly. I am inundated with work this week and will get to it myself not before Friday. But I hope by then the reception clerks don't need an explanation anymore :)

Gert
        Attached Files

Comment

Just as a friendly reminder, in two days (Feb. 1st) the prenegotiated room price for the motels in Victoria and Florence will no longer apply. You may still be able to get a room reservation, but the price will be higher.

Anyone have problems with making reservations? I finished last Friday and all of the motels had made several other reservations already from our group.

Stan

Comment

Here is another reminder......John Christensen confirmed that he was asked for his passport, crossing the border from Canada.

Please be aware of new immigrations regulation requiring a VALID passport for US citizens coming back from abroad (not sure if they let you into Canada without anymore)!! If you have not yet done so, it would be a good idea to check if your passport is still valid in August.

Gert

Comment

Thanks Gert, I thought mine was still valid but upon checking, it expired last summer!

Fortunately all the necessary forms for US citizens are online now so it looks like I can do it all through the mail (except for the photo).

Stan

Comment

Gert (and all) - Just checked the Department of State web page on travel to Canada http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html, which reads, in part:
                ~~~begin~~~
                Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
                ~~~end~~~
                It's probably best to carry a valid passport anyway, just to be sure.
                - Sean

Comment

Hi Sean, that is what I thought....but there may be confusion with the border agents because John said one in their party had some trouble returning without passport. Don't know exactly what kind of trouble, though.

Gert

Comment

We crossed back into the US at the end of December and the border guard made it very clear that we would need passports to drive across beginning on Jan 23rd.

That was news to me and I questioned it, but he was definitive in his response. Based on the information Sean found, the guard was wrong. However, these guys don't have a sense of humor so it is probably worth the trouble to get a passport.

-John
                    Westfield SEiW
                    2.0L Duratec
                    Throttle Steer

Comment

This is going to be a huge problem for cross-border traffic in general. John's right - just get a passport. Now. The backlog at the Dept. of State is likely to become gigantic.
                      Chris
                      ------------
                      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I generally travel between BC and WA a few times per year. In my experience, the US border guards range from reasonably polite, to very rude and confrontational. If you run into one of the latter, and don't have a passport, then you are increasing the likelihood that they will make it an unpleasant experience. In contrast, I have only run into one Canadian border guard who was less than friendly.

-John
                        Westfield SEiW
                        2.0L Duratec
                        Throttle Steer

Comment

Though I cannot remember where I heard it, I have heard it recommended that a traveller's passport be valid for at least six months beyond your last anticipated day of travel. If I were going on the tour, I would renew my passport if it were due to expire anytime before 2008 March. Dang, I sure wish I needed to worry about this!
                          - Sean

Comment

Working...
                          X