Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby with question

Hi ther all you out in the ether
    I am new to the list so will probably be asking age-old questions (I know...a collective groan, have some patience). I finally took the plunge and bought a seven....still to be shipped from Europe...only took 25 years to get around to it after driving one for the first time!

It's going to be right-hand-drive, this is not a problem for me being a long time resident of the British colonies, but I wondered if anyone knew of the potential trials and tribulations of converting to LHD??

See you all out there sometime!

Depends. My car has the same length footwell on both sides but some have the 'off' side shorter. Then, there's also be the moving of everything - pedals, brake & clutch MCs, all the hydraulics, steering et. al. - to deal with.

Probably more trouble than it's worth. Besides, it won't matter on-track!
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Right is right

I thought I was going to want to do the same thing when I picked up my car and was driving it around Italy. I came to really like the differentiation the right hand drive gives. Also it turns out it really doesn't make that much difference. The car is so narrow, you are just about on the left anyway! I would spend the money on some engine goodies, or maybe some carbon bits! :D My 2 $.02 worth.

Comment

I've had a RHD for 13 years. I can hop from a LH to RH and it doesnt make a difference.
        Last edited by venom7; March 22, 2006, 09:57 AM.

Comment

RHD vs. LHD

This reply to DesmoDork and Venom7

Thanks for the responses...

Yeh, I can understand you both, I lived in the UK and rode motorcycles and cars around Europe for years. On a bike it was never a problem, in a car it took about 10 minutes of concentration when first getting off the ferry. (The only moments of seat-crimping occured when crossing a central divide on a road from a junction or gas station....that fraction of a second wondering if you had set off down the wrong lane!)
          I was actually looking forward to really freaking out passengers by having them sit on the left with no controls! But I was also asking in case it was relatively easy. Looks like the purchase of steering racks, footwell structure, pedal assemblies etc etc would not be worth it.

See you around

Originally posted by DesmoDork
          I thought I was going to want to do the same thing when I picked up my car and was driving it around Italy. I came to really like the differentiation the right hand drive gives. Also it turns out it really doesn't make that much difference. The car is so narrow, you are just about on the left anyway! I would spend the money on some engine goodies, or maybe some carbon bits! :D My 2 $.02 worth.

Comment

Ya, I wouldn't do it, you also have the advantage on all the clockwise courses around here;-)

Comment

How soon?

When does the car arrive? I assume you bought a complete car? If you are in the north bay, and bought a kit, I'd offer my services if it would help. At least someone to hold the 12 oz. cans stable. :rolleyes:

Comment

The handle "kiwi" leads me to believe the cans will be far larger than a mere 12 ozs...
                - Sean

Comment

Working...
                X