Car almost back together.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car almost back together.

During the weekend I started to setup my new 2-car garage into a first version of an acceptable shop. I still have to paint the floor, find a permanent workbench / storage solution and put up drywalls to get a better light reflection, but I am amazed over the amount of space I have access to.

As soon as I had my old benches stringed up (se photo), and installed more lights, I got that good old itch that I haven't had in a looong time. 10 minutes later the Caterham was in the position i like most of all, ass in the air, and I got down to satisfy my urges.

I've now ground down the part of the rear calipers that were rubbing against the Watts linkage, touched up the linkage paint, fixed an exposed electrical wire, removed all the contact cement after removing the carpet on the inside of the trunk (which was trapping moisture and created rust bubbles), f*cked up the alread f*cked up rear paint job, and reattached the rear fenders (with nylon bolts where there is direct alu contact). I had to break just when I was to rivet the gas cap assembly back in place.

Since I now live exactly 7.6 miles from Cosworth's U.S. headquarters, I am also eyeing my Duratec engine with renewed interest...

/Magnus F.
    Attached Files

Oooh, I am envious....so much space!

I think I need to build that garage addition.

Comment

Swing by and have a look if you want to motivate the expense yourself.

/Magnus F.

Comment

What are you using the black double-pocket bungee device for? Looks like it's holding your jack handle erect ;)

Comment

Is Torrance really 7.6 miles from Manhattan Beach? I suspect that you will find Cosworth is closer than you think, although not cheaper.

Comment

but I am amazed over the amount of space I have access to.
            Yes. I think you'll find everything is better north of the curtain. Real restaurants, real shopping (yes, even beyond Bed, Bath & Beyond), real culture etc. And real garages:D
            Chris
            ------------
            A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I never thought I'd hear (or read) someone saying how L.A. is more "real" than somwhere else! :o
              - Sean

Comment

Hmm.

The brakes are crap. It feels like I have new pads that haven't settled in yet. Maybe one or more calipers are stuck. Time to dissasemble.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Magnus

If I recall from my visit just before your move the rotors were a bit rusty.

It might be all it needs is bleeding and run them for awhile.

Doug

Comment

There was a discussion about "mushy" brake feeling even after thorough bleeding on the Birkinowner forum. This was related to non-parallel misalignment of caliper/pads/disk to be cured by
                    - long driving until worn even
                    - sticky sand paper pads on the disc (and a respirator)
                    - some shims if it is totally off

Comment

Additional info.

Replaced DOT 4 with DOT 5 about 18 months ago. Did thorough flushing of the system (0.4 litres or something like that) to get rid of old fluid.

Small squeal from rear left when warmed up and not braking, but not pulling in any way.

I'll dig into this.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Another question on a similar topic.

I am thinking of going Mintex 1144 on my front and rear pads (while I am tearing down the brakes). Anyone has an idea about compabillity? I saw on blatchat that a Triumph Spitfire Mk III was used to source the Caterham front calipers.

Is this true? If not, is there another make/model I can use when shopping?

/Magnus F.

Comment

Lots of info on Blatchat, like:

Richard Price
                          Anyone got a sock?

Location: Newcastle, Staffs. Posted - 29 September 2005 16:11
                          report this post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          For standard front brakes, the Mintex part Number for 1144's is :- MGB533M1144.

Don't fit 1144's in the rear with standard brakes, You'll end up with too much bias to the rear.

With my standard brakes, I'm currently using 1144's in the front, and the caterham blue pads, normally used with uprated fronts, in the rear. I understand, the blue rears have a higher coefficient of friction than the standard pads, but not as high as 1144's - it's a setup that works well.

Comment

Car is up and running thanks to Doug who lended me his brake pads.

I even polished the whole thing and am currently waiting for the wax to dry. Tomorrow morning, I'll head down to the Qualcomm stadium to see if I can participate in the AutoX event. Expect horrible track times.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Magnus, so how's it running?
                              Chris
                              ------------
                              A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Working...
                              X