Wheels Stateside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels Stateside

Anyone know of reliable suppliers of aftermarket wheels for Caterham (De Dion) in the USA, other than the obvious Caterham USA etc?
    I am after a set of 13" and possible 16" wheels.

Kodiak wheels, made in Canada, are excellent. Woody, a member of this site, can hook you up.

I bought some minilites from a UK 7 dealer a few years back, before freight cost more than wheels.

Also, Joe Hawkins (on this site) has 4 Panasports with new ACB 10s mounted at a decent price.

Comment

Re: Wheel Stateside

Roll a 7
      Thanks for the info, Kodiak sounds interesting, Woody, if you are out there and can offer help I would appreciate any help you can offer!

Comment

Wheel for sale??

Calling Joe Hawkins!

Joe...apparently you have some wheels for sale...If you still have them please let me know..Kiwi

Originally posted by Roll a 7
        Kodiak wheels, made in Canada, are excellent. Woody, a member of this site, can hook you up.

I bought some minilites from a UK 7 dealer a few years back, before freight cost more than wheels.

Also, Joe Hawkins (on this site) has 4 Panasports with new ACB 10s mounted at a decent price.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Kodiaks or Rials myself, but a cheaper option is Compomotive. The 13" CXR shown below is heavier than that Kodiaks, but they are a lot cheaper and still reasonably light. They will also provide you with just about any offset you want. BTW I've learnd of a shipping option that makes orders from the UK (like the Rials) a little more palatable. Parcels2go charges ~$115 for up to 25KG and ~$250 for 70KG. I am using them for my BGH gearbox and cams so will let everyone know how well they do.

-John
          Westfield SEiW
          2.0L Duratec
          Throttle Steer

Comment

it will be interesting to hear how this Parcels2go thing works out, thanks for the info on Compomotive and Rial I will look into both.

Comment

Woody's biz is located between SF & Sacramento.

Joe lives in the bay area, though he may be @ buttonwillow this weekend.

Both use this website and may offer their Email addresses on the members list.

Comment

Thanks! I will drop them a line.

Comment

I purchased wheels from Pack Racing Products, they are based in Arizona.

www.packracingproducts.com

I had very good customer service, they sent me several wheels to check the fit on my Caterham before I placed my order.

Comment

unsprung weight

I believe the lighest wheels you will find are the ones from Mike Barnby (original equip on the R500). They are lighter than the RIALS that John mentioned above:

MB wheels (bare)
                    3.55 KG front (7.83lbs)
                    3.78 KG rear (8.33lbs)

Details here:
                    http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?Id=116200
                    http://mb-racingwheels.com/

The RIALS are 4.9KG (10.8lbs) and even if they are a bit heavier, they seem to be quite nicely priced!! I'm not sure what the MB rims go for...

Based on the above numbers:

RIAL = 43.2 lbs/set of four
                    MB = 32.3 lbs/set of four :)
                    Tom "ELV15" Jones
                    http://PIErats.com

Comment

When I inquired about the weight of a 13x7 Kodiak wheel, I was told 6.5-9 lb depending on offset. So they are similar to the MB wheels. The nice thing about the Rials is that they are TUV approved, so provide a bit more confidence in the strength department. Of course there is certainly something to be said for saving over 10 lb of unsprung weight...

-John
                      Westfield SEiW
                      2.0L Duratec
                      Throttle Steer

Comment

The Barnby wheels have a mag center and were described as "ridiculously light" by the gent that sold me a set. When I received a 2 foot tall box from the post I knew it was too light to be one of the wheels. I opened it and found a really light wheel inside, and a second wheel under it. Now I believe!! These are too light for everyday street use.

The Caterham dealer in VA had a set of 4 fronts, 13X6.5, for about $1600 a while back.

Comment

Working...
                        X