Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHO is home and BORED

Post something, even if you make it up.

I'm home, but I'm not bored; too many projects. I'm fortunate that I have a 30x40 fully equipped workshop, plus 40x60 barn. And, as I mentioned, lots of projects.

Randall

Comment

We've been at home since the 1st week of March. The farthest we've been off property is up the hill to fetch the mail and take the trash out. Having groceries delivered and working on projects around the house. One of those projects is finishing up the restoration of the Seven.

The Seven has been off the road since May of 2016 when I had a piston ring failure due to detonation on the old 109E. After removal of the engine one thing lead to another and the repair ended up being a full on ground up restoration. It's now a 1.6 Lotus block 5 main unit with all new 1st class internals. The car has been operational since January. I've been having some valve train issues with the new engine.

The valve train problem was coil bind of the internal valve springs due to the new high lift cam.

So a full engine out upper end rebuild ensued in February. Inner spring coil bind was validated on the bench by manually operating the valves with the outer springs removed. The valve caps were modified with 0.090" removed from the inner spring upper perch.

I took advantage of the engine out service to add another baffle to the oil pan. I'm running a semi-dry sump setup. I.E. a Cosworth dry sump pump that uses the oil pan as the dry sump tank. This setup allows the pan to be almost flush with the bottom of the chassis and also to hold 6 quarts instead of the former 2.5 quarts for the old pre-crossflow lump. However the bottom of the pan is almost flat. So I added another internal baffle to keep more oil at the front of the pan during acceleration and on long uphills, like our driveway!

I also took the engine out period to further revise the concentric throwout bearing plumbing:

Upon reassembly, Review of the valve train geometry at that ti me showed that the rocker arm pivot center was below the tips of the valve stems.

I fabricated 2 sets of shims of different thickness for the rocker shaft stands to correct the geometry and eliminate the over-center motion of the rocker arms. I made 2 sets because I was concerned about the potential for valve cover contact after shim installation.

The rocker shaft is now even with the valve stem tips after shim installation. And clearance confirmed by using modeling clay on rocker arm adjusters and manually turning the engine through several revolutions. Note the extreme valve lash adjuster screw length after shim installation.

So a call to Ivey and order of a new set of longer custom pushrods ensued.

The break in the rains yesterday provided the opportunity for push Rod installation and another round of valve cover clearance check. All better now.

The car is now back together enough that I was able to do a 2.5Hr engine run yesterday afternoon without any issues. Yippee!!!

I've still got a fair ways to go to complete the restoration but I now have plenty of time to devote to the project. Longer term we're looking forward to better weather and clearance to get back out on the roads again.
      Last edited by escondidoron; April 12, 2020, 02:13 PM.
      EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
      '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
      '14 Evora
      '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Does this mean you'll need another trip to Bisimoto?

Comment

If you do set up another day with Bisi, I would probably bring my car.

Randall

Comment

Don't you live in Washington? Or is it Oregon?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
              Does this mean you'll need another trip to Bisimoto?
              Oooohh. Another visit to Bisimoto is a fantastic idea. I'm most definitely up for it.

Here's my S2 at our last visit and well before its restoration:
              EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
              '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
              '14 Evora
              '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Not really bored. But mostly home. We moved to Fort Collins, CO in February. Spent some 6 weeks to get the living quarters set up and after that started re-establiching my shop (30% done). Unlike the Pasadena situation I do no longer have to work out of the garage (too hot, too cold or too many bugs). The new house has a 1300 sqft walk out basement shop with A/C. I guess that will do.

It is probably well known that I sold the Seven over 2 years ago (I never heard what happened to the poor car after the new owner blew up the engine). Then I bought a FIAT124 Spider which was quite a nice car but we sold that one 3 weeks ago as well. So, no sports car at this time.

Greetings to all you guys in CA. If you are ever in this area and the virus shit is over, come along and say hello! We have some 19 breweries in town and lots of good restaurants (some may go bancrupt now, I guess) and fabulous mountain roads .

We had 2 weeks of nice spring days but are back to a few days of winter now (8" of snow yesterday). We like it that way. Below a view from our deck (when it was warm) and our new companion.
                DSC01826.JPG

PatchWelpenblick.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                  Don't you live in Washington? Or is it Oregon?
                  Port Angeles, Washington. It's a long two day haul, each way, but I'd be willing to do it.

Randall

Comment

Retirement of others at work has me busier than ever there. Kid just turned 14. Mom's memory is starting to go, so needs frequent visits (hour-and-a-half drive each way).
                    What I wouldn't give to be bored for a day!

Nice to hear you guys are all doing well. :)
                    | | Sean

Comment

Working...
                    X