• Show
Clear All

• For you Duratec guys

New Caterham announcement today:
    http://www.caterham.co.uk/news/content.php?id=31

Pics here.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&f=57&t=129191

Comment

Thanks Magnus, that's what I was looking for. Look at the new front fenders! Different, for sure. The interior? I'll have to see one in the flesh but my first impressions are that I am happy to have my 2004 Superlight R just as it is. Undoubtedly the new cars will be noticably faster with better handling but, in everyday use, will there be that much difference? And I do prefer the original narrow body over this greatly updated SV.
      Steve

Here's a direct link to more info:
      http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=102&i=9243

Comment

Seeing this makes me appreciate my '93 Caterham that much more. They've strayed too far from the original Seven formula, and IMO the car looks like one of those questionable Seven knock-offs. No doubt the performance is far superior to my crossflow, but I don't find this car very desirable. I assume they are still offering the "traditional" Seven?

Comment

Looking over the fence from non-Caterham territory it appears to be a pretty nice and wild car but it does not come exactly cheap, anyway. So, if I start from scratch and had $60,000++ to play with (not in my lifetime) would I buy it? Probably I would rather buy a used Seven plus an Elise for that money :P

There was no mention of rollers or any kind of self-build ??? The other question is if you can get a Duratec with the EU spec smogged in CA?? That might guarantee some success here if SB100 is going down the drain sometimes....But then there is the other pesky DOT approval stuff for regular cars. May not fly....

Gert

Comment

Comments:

The new chassis looks great & the radiator fabrication at the front looks great.
            The new suspension, front & rear, looks like it'll work like a million.
            The new cycle wings look like they're designed as upside down wings in order to reduce lift. They're a little ugly, but the Mies Principle rules here.
            The engine sure looks cool. It appears that Cossy is able to get about the same amount of juice out of the Duratec as any of the other shops over there.
            Note that there's no opening in the bonnet for the intake. The car(s) shown don't have air filters attached. I wonder if they'll have to cut an opening.
            The interior is, uh..., er..., well..., akkkk.

I noticed that the weight wasn't included in the specs that CC posted. I wonder why.

It's a nice addition to the already varied CC line I suppose, but somehow a bit poofy. It's kind of an odd combination; tough and racelike outside and plushy and mooshy inside. Definitely not my cup o tea - too big first of all, and that interior made me shudder.
            Chris
            ------------
            A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Photos of new CSR

Lots of great photos here of the new CSR. Click on the links at left side for more.

http://www.mycaterham.com/174550/index.html

Steve

Comment

Chris,

What is the Mies Principle?

I have not seen the word "poofy" since leaving Oz. The description is apt, but we'll all be hankering after the new interior once we get used to it. If Cadillac can sell cars, people will accept anything.

I wonder if it has cupholders.

Comment

Mies Van Der Rohe, the German Bauhaus architect, was the fellow that professed that 'form follows function'. In the case of the wings the form required by the aerodynamics is thus acceptable as it actually serves a purpose.

I've always appreciated many elements of the Aussie form of the mother tongue. So let's crack a tube next time we're on, eh Michael?
                  Chris
                  ------------
                  A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

There is another famous quote from Mies van der Rohe: "Less is More". Almost sounds like an early Colin Chapman....

By the way, I always thought Mies van der Rohe was Dutch (well, because of the name) but I found he was actually born in my hometown, Aachen in Germany.

O.K. who cares, but I find it interesting :?

Gert

Comment

Chris, you're on.

When it comes to beer, "More is more" and "form follows consumption".

Comment

Working...
                      X