A new 7 style car about to hit the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new 7 style car about to hit the road

My Mazda Powered GBS Zero it about to hit the road. DMV appointment 8am Jan 2nd to start the registration process and SB100. All the receipts , photos and forms in hand. Any advise as I head to the DMV to get the process started would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Hope that this is the only time to be upside down.

Congrats on your build.

Comment

Thanks, Obviously I am not a computer guy, could figure out how to flip that over.

Comment

Good luck at DMV. I went through the process a couple of months ago and it was nearly painless. The local office, Pasadena, was not at all familiar with the program. It took them about 40 minutes to find the forms and figure out the paperwork. I had my sequence number about two weeks later. My car had previously been registered so I did not have to go through a VIN check/issuance or light inspections. The referee was a very knowledgeable guy, which concerned me at first, but it turned out he was a real car guy and was very helpful. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.

Comment

Originally posted by toldfield View Post
          Good luck at DMV. I went through the process a couple of months ago and it was nearly painless. The local office, Pasadena, was not at all familiar with the program. It took them about 40 minutes to find the forms and figure out the paperwork. I had my sequence number about two weeks later. My car had previously been registered so I did not have to go through a VIN check/issuance or light inspections. The referee was a very knowledgeable guy, which concerned me at first, but it turned out he was a real car guy and was very helpful. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.

Thanks for the input, I may call upon you for the referees info if he is a good guy and familiar with the cars.

Comment

Originally posted by toldfield View Post
            Good luck at DMV. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.
            I've heard that the sequence numbers are not given out in order so the number may not reflect how many are left. That said I believe there are plenty. DMV has not run out on the first day of business in a few years.

Thousand Oaks DMV does seem to be well up on the Specially Constructed Vehicle process but it's probably not worth the drive if you are on the other side of LA.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
              I've heard that the sequence numbers are not given out in order so the number may not reflect how many are left. That said I believe there are plenty. DMV has not run out on the first day of business in a few years.

Thousand Oaks DMV does seem to be well up on the Specially Constructed Vehicle process but it's probably not worth the drive if you are on the other side of LA.

Doug
              Thanks Doug,
              hopefully I am first up Jan 2, with a 8am appointment. I live in Corona and have my appointment at the Norco office. I went for a pre-appointment last week and they seemed to have the special construction part down but I got a deer in the head lights when I talked about an SB100.
              Any pointers on coaching I can give them then I arrive? Should I get them to process the SCV forms first before their call to Sacramento for an SB100?

Comment

They no longer call it SB100. That stood for Senate Bill 100 and they reuse the number every year.

It's just called Specialty Constructed Vehicle Number or something like that. (SPCNS) I don't recall exactly how they did it as I did mine the first year. Others can answer better than I and I think we have a thread that covers it.

You just need to get the forms filled out, have a pink slip or if a new build a manufacturers certificate of origin. Pay the sales tax and fees.

Go sooner if you can and get the number this year.

See here if you have not already LINK TO DMV INFO

Doug
                Last edited by Doug Liedblad; December 16, 2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Why not drop into DMV today to get your SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number? Assuming you have everything else completed, you should be able to get one today. If at all possible, you should NOT go to DMV on January 2nd*, as that will be the first day that undocumented immigrants (a.k.a. illegal aliens) can legally apply for a California drivers license. I'll leave politics out of this thread; you should know that the DMV is expecting HUGE crowds on 2014 Jan. 02.

In the past, when the numbers ran out, they posted that fact on their SPCNS page. Assuming that has not changed, you should be able to get one any day the DMV is open.

PS - When seeking DMV information, be sure to go to pages with URL ending in ".ca.gov". There is a site using .org that looks pretty real, but is an imposter.

*edit -- Unless you are an illegal alien, in which case January 2nd would be a good day for you to kill two birds with one stone at the DMV.
                  Last edited by Sean; December 16, 2014, 10:58 AM.
                  | | Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                    They no longer call it SB100. That stood for Senate Bill 100 and they reuse the number every year.

It's just called Specialty Constructed Vehicle Number or something like that. (SPCNS) I don't recall exactly how they did it as I did mine the first year. Others can answer better than I and I think we have a thread that covers it.

You just need to get the forms filled out, have a pink slip or if a new build a manufacturers certificate of origin. Pay the sales tax and fees.

Go sooner if you can and get the number this year.

See here if you have not already LINK TO DMV INFO

Doug

My understanding was that you can register a SPCNS vehicle and if you are going to comply with the Smog requirements for the engine then there is no limit to the number the DMV will register in a year. I was under the impression that if you were not going to comply with Smog requirements you needed a SB100, smog exception number and the field office needed to call to Sacramento to get this assigned and moving. Do I understand correctly that the SB100 process has been replaced with the SPCNS number that the field office assigns?

I think I have all the forms filled out. As for the manufacturers certificate of origin, I believe these are only issued by manufactures that have the authority to assign a VIN number to the chassis as the VIN will be stamped on the Chassis by the manufacturer. I have a paper trail that shows a chassis with a serial number (292) was sold by Great British Sports Cars to their US dealer and then an invoice from the US dealer to me. I have been lead to believe that the DMV will assign a temporary VIN to track the paperwork in the system but when I go for the engine/gear box number inspection with the CHP, the CHP will assign a VIN, and permanently attach a new VIN ID tag to the car. does that sound right?

I went to the DMV a few weeks ago to get the process started and they told me there was nothing I could do until I presented the car to them??? Does this sound right to everyone?? I would like to get the process started now but the car will not be on the ground until just after Dec 25th.

Comment

So do you have experience where the DMV will give a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number without seeing the car? I tried this and they said nope, got to see the car to get it started.

I have an appointment, I will be in the parking lot with my car at 6am. doors open at 8am. with the expected crowds the food vendors servicing the crowds should provide good entertainment and breakfast.

Comment

Make sure to tow your car there since you cannot legally drive it and may get ticketed.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by GBS ZERO 1 View Post
                          My understanding was that you can register a SPCNS vehicle and if you are going to comply with the Smog requirements for the engine then there is no limit to the number the DMV will register in a year. I was under the impression that if you were not going to comply with Smog requirements you needed a SB100, smog exception number and the field office needed to call to Sacramento to get this assigned and moving. Do I understand correctly that the SB100 process has been replaced with the SPCNS number that the field office assigns?

I think I have all the forms filled out. As for the manufacturers certificate of origin, I believe these are only issued by manufactures that have the authority to assign a VIN number to the chassis as the VIN will be stamped on the Chassis by the manufacturer. I have a paper trail that shows a chassis with a serial number (292) was sold by Great British Sports Cars to their US dealer and then an invoice from the US dealer to me. I have been lead to believe that the DMV will assign a temporary VIN to track the paperwork in the system but when I go for the engine/gear box number inspection with the CHP, the CHP will assign a VIN, and permanently attach a new VIN ID tag to the car. does that sound right?

I went to the DMV a few weeks ago to get the process started and they told me there was nothing I could do until I presented the car to them??? Does this sound right to everyone?? I would like to get the process started now but the car will not be on the ground until just after Dec 25th.

Yes, it is no longer referred to as SB100. Just the SPCNS. In order to comply and be exempt from the SPCSN requirement the engine needs to be from a pre smog date. Maybe as early as 1976 which is as far back as they still require smog checks. Maybe older. I am not certain on this.

If you bought the car complete and assembled from a dealer you may have a problem as the SPCSN requires it NOT be from a manufacturer. If you bought the kit, which I believe can be a rolling chassis, you should be OK.

I know of people that have gotten the number with just the paperwork. I had my car but the DMV never inspected it at all, only the CHP to verify or assign a VIN and the Smog inspection station, you will also need brake and lights I believe. I got the my sequence number with just the Mfg Certificate of Origin, filling out the forms and paying the fees.

Try a different DMV as some don't know what is going on with the SPCNS.

If the car was registered in another state already it may come under a slightly different law but still uses one of the 500 numbers.

Doug

Comment

a brand spanking new trailer awaits, just picked it up last week. just making some 12 foot ramps to get the car on without bottoming out. If anyone needs ferry service I am up for a day out with any 7 in tow.

Comment

Originally posted by GBS ZERO 1 View Post
                              So do you have experience where the DMV will give a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number without seeing the car? I tried this and they said nope, got to see the car to get it started.

I have an appointment, I will be in the parking lot with my car at 6am. doors open at 8am. with the expected crowds the food vendors servicing the crowds should provide good entertainment and breakfast.

Things may have changed since I did my car as I did it the first year and as I said they never saw it, EVER at the DMV. Only smog ref and CHP, now also brake and ligh

If you have an appointment you should not need to wait in line. YMMV.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X