See less

A new 7 style car about to hit the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noted the windshield too. I will keep a copy of this in the car I think and may give it a go without a windshield from time to time.

Comment

I think the difference for me was that my Chassis didn't have a VIN number nor did I have an MSO. I just had receipts for it all and a 3 digit chassis number from the manufacturer. They wanted me to go to the CHP first to get it all checked out and a new VIN assigned before they would issue one of the 500 numbers to me. I believe you could get the SPCNS at the time you paid the fees if I had pushed it but I had the CHP appointment the next day. I did run into some head wind today, had to insist they call Sacramento for the SPCNS as they claimed they needed the light and brake inspection also before they could issue a SPCNS. I had to sit in the bad boy corner for an hour to pay my dues to the DMV gods first. It took a chat with a second level supervisor before they would even give me the number today.

Comment

It sounds like the DMV hasn't changes since I was first driving. I used to turn over cars a lot and going to the DMV I'd get quoted one set of fees from one agent, told to go solve some problem and when I came back the amount would be different from another person behind the window. i remember it clearly as the 2nd person charged me a lot less than the first wanted to. I kept quiet, paid and got out of there.

I hate it when I know more about the process than the highly trained professional.

Sounds also like you just need to be insistent.

Comment

You can drive your Seven while completing the SVC, BAR, VIN dance. I have renewed my 90 temporary CA registration three times at no additional cost. I should really finish up my registration...

-russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            You can drive your Seven while completing the SVC, BAR, VIN dance. I have renewed my 90 temporary CA registration three times at no additional cost. I should really finish up my registration...
            That's true IF they give you a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP), then you can drive it, yes. Issuance of a TOP depends on which clerk and at which DMV, as Doug mentioned above. Also, a TOP can range from 24hrs to 90 days that I know of, and could vary more than that. But it is important to note that you can only drive it IF the DMV has issued you a TOP.
            | | Sean

Comment

I have insurance now so that's not a hurdle to driving it.. I suspect I could ask the DMV for a little red square of paper to go in place of the license plate, is this the 90 day temp you are referring to? I could ask them and give it a try, great idea thanks.

I am actually looking for an nice big open parking lot or similar that I can do a few test runs on before I venture out into harms way, brake tests etc? I also need to do some suspension set up too, alignment and shock adjustment, any Whizzers with setup in the club that want to come give me a few pointers and enjoy my Mrs' Chicken Enchiladas?

Comment

Yeah, the standard TOP usually looks like the image below, and is typically issued for 30-, 60-, or 90-days. There are also single-day TOPs, which is what they are supposed issue to get a B&L inspection done, and then the longer duration red TOP once your vehicle has been deemed capable of stopping. Or so it once was, according to a friend of mine who used to work in the DMV.

What I did, after I received the red TOP similar to above, was make a copy of it and tape that to the outside of the car, keeping the original in the car with me, and taking it along whenever I left the car. That way, if somebody stole the permit from the car, I was still covered.
                | | Sean

Comment

ok, that's what I though it was but the details are usefully. I would really like to give the car a run first before I even venture out on the road. I have a trailer for the car so getting around is no problem but driving the car to the B&L guy would be best as he wants it on the ground for the inspection and its a little time consuming to get it off and on the trailer.

Comment

Good progress today, I have found a willing resident of an industrial complex that will let me use the parking lot on a Sunday to give the car a run.

On a recommendation I visited "Lee's Alignment" in Fullerton to chat about the alignment this morning. I was encouraged by the fact he had a Cobra kit car on the stand when I showed up, so he should be willing to deal with something a little different. Anyway he recons about an hour to get the car running true and not chewing up tires.

I visited the B&L guy yesterday and ran through the requirements. oh no I forgot the emergency flashers. so a call to the factory in the UK this morning got the switch and loom on the way. Glad I have a few days while my SPCNS cert arrives so in no rush.

Plans for this weekend are to fit the carpets and doors.

I can almost smell the fumes from the big rigs just about to run me off the road I am that close

Comment

Another good weekend of progress. The Car moved under its own power, finished up all the nagging little electrical work like the back light for the clock and rear fog light switch back light. I have a problem with the ECU, the cooling fan is cycling on and off rapidly, I suspect the cut on/off temps are set too close so I will check that tonight. Patiently waiting for my SPCNS cert in the mail. GBS Zero 1.jpgGBS Zero 3.jpg

Comment

I spoke to another friend that is building a Lotus 23. He too was told by the DMV that he has to get his VIN number before they issue the SPCNS. They apparently want to see that the car exists before they issue a number.

That does make some sense as I had heard of custom car builders getting 5+ numbers just on spec. I suspect guys like that were helping to use up all the numbers the first day of business.

So things seem to have changed in the way they issue the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by GBS ZERO 1 View Post
                          Another good weekend of progress. The Car moved under its own power, finished up all the nagging little electrical work like the back light for the clock...
                          Clock!?
                          | | Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                            Clock!?
                            Why not? i have a clock from a B-17 in my Birkin.

Comment

A clock may prevent me from missing my curfew... Not a bad idea I suppose.

Comment

A clock is a must, its neat trick to show passengers how it runs backwards when a 7 is running flat out

Comment

Working...
                                X