See less

A new 7 style car about to hit the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, All assembled by Me, from a bear bones chassis, every rivet, every bolt, none of this rolling chassis business, just like Colin wanted it. lots of pictures so I should be in good shape.

Comment

From everything you have told us about above, it sounds to me like you might want to call some other DMV offices and ask them how to initiate a SPCNS registration. It seems to me like the Norco office might not be the best one to do this at this time. Getting a DMV official that knows the process truly is the key to it all, I believe.
      | | Sean

Comment

Thanks,
        I made an appointment with Riverside for Monday morning, we will see how that goes

Comment

What Sean said. If there are numbers left for this calendar year get one NOW. Well, Monday.

FWIW, the DMV never saw my car either. Mine (done a decade ago) was only seen by CHP, smog dude & Brake & Light, which was done at an officially certified mechanic's place.
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Well I had a fruitless visit to the DMV this morning. They claimed that there were no SPCNS left for 2014. So I will have to fallback on my Jan 2nd 8am appointment. Oh well, I was hoping to get all the other registration issues taken car of over the holidays but will have to wait. Hope you all have a good time driving your cars, I will have to continue watching from the grandstands for a few more weeks.

Comment

My Jan 2nd DMV appointment went well. I paid the fees and got the referral form for the CHP to assign a new VIN to the car. This morning I took the car to the CHP, 7am appointment, all the paperwork checked out and a new VIN was assigned with a new VIN plate attached to the chassis. So its back to the DMV tomorrow morning with paperwork in hand to get the SPCNS paperwork started. Once I have the SPCNS certificate in hand it will be off to the BAR, most likely Fullerton location. The CHP officer showed me CHP publication "CHP 892, requirements for special construction vehicles". I can find reference to it on the CHP web site but I can not find an actual copy, Anyone happen to have a copy?

Comment

Originally posted by GBS ZERO 1 View Post
                The CHP officer showed me CHP publication "CHP 892, requirements for special construction vehicles". I can find reference to it on the CHP web site but I can not find an actual copy, Anyone happen to have a copy?
                Never heard of it, much less seen a copy. Google turned up nothing for me, either. How nice of the CHP to create a useful thing like a list of requirements, and then not make it available to those whom it would affect!?

Congratulations on successfully getting through that first step. It's always an intimidating thing!
                | | Sean

Comment

Unless something has changed you should have left with your SPCNS number after paying your fees. It took a week or two for me to get the actual certificate in the mail.

Comment

Yeah, I got the SPCNS number on the first day as well. Also, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Brake and Lamp inspection, as by their own rules, that is supposed to be the first thing they require you to get. Ah, government.
                    | | Sean

Comment

You need to make an appointment for the referee. The fellow I saw was not there full-time and left immediately after taking care of me. You can make the appointment at

http://www.asktheref.org/

I went to Rio Hondo and was very happy with the results.

Tom

Comment

CHP892 see attachment.

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood CHP officher.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Doug Liedblad; January 7, 2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                          CHP892 see attachment.

Courtesy of you friendly neighborhood CHP officher.
                          Interesting read. The windshield portion defines the whats and hows for windshields, but does not specifically mandate them. However, the windshield wiper portion says "Any motor vehicle equipped with a windshield shall be equipped...", implying that motor vehicles don't necessarily have to have a windshield. which may explain why my CHP check concluded successfully w/out one and why I've never gotten any shit (knock wood) while driving around on the roads.
                          Chris
                          ------------
                          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Progress has been made. DMV fees paid, CHP sign off and new VIN number assigned and SPCNS assigned this morning. Now have to wait for the cert to show up before the BAR inspection. I have talked with a brake and light guy and I should have that done before the SPCNS Cert. shows up. I would like to be optimistic about progress but I understand that there is plenty of area's that could still cause me problems so I have some reserved enthusiasm that I will soon be on the road, oh yes and I got the car insured today too.

Comment

Great thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GBS ZERO 1 View Post
                                Progress has been made. DMV fees paid, CHP sign off and new VIN number assigned and SPCNS assigned this morning...............
                                If you can, please help us understand if something about the process has changed. Do you know why you did not get the SPCNS at the time you paid the fees and submitted the application to the DMV? When I did mine they made a phone call and I go the number immediately. I did have to wait for the printed certificate to show up but I had the number allocated to my car. This has been most peoples experience.

Is it a new procedure or is that just the way your DMV office did it?

There may be problems you need to solve but you have the number so it's just jumping thru the hoops.

Be sure you have a PCV valve from the engine block or valve cover to the intake manifold. I think into the air cleaner back plate is good. It just needs to vent crankcase fumes to be recirculated to the intake. There are other posts about this as on the site.

On the Zetec there is a metal can with baffles on the side of the block under the exhaust headers that keeps oil splashes out of the PCV but allows fumes to be routed to the intake. I assume Duratecs have a similar set up but I have no personal knowledge as to how it was solved.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                                X