Fetching my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fetching my car

The long wait for my SLR appears to be nearing an end with the kit possibly arriving at my house tomorrow. It has cleared customs so the arrival is dependent on the trucking company. I just found this all out today.

My question is- has anyone taken delivery of a kit at their home? I think I will be looking at a 600 lb. crate inside a trailer and the trucker may even have a pallet jack and a liftgate. I'll have my brother's help and, maybe, some neighbors if I can round up any during the day. But how do I get the crate on the ground? I'm not too worried about it as I know there will be a way to do it but just wondered if anyone has any experience and can give me some tips on what to expect and how to do. I expect this will be the hardest part of building my car.

Thanks,
    Steve

My car came in an loose set of boxes plus the body, definetly not the original method of delivery from Caterham.

The chassis can be carried by two men with no problem. The rest of it, if boxed separetly can be carried by one or two persons. You will need a hoist for the engine, but the gearbox can be carried by two people.

A hint is that you duct tape protective cardboard over the aluminum skin before you do anything else.
    Caterham aluminum, as long as it is in your garage, is magnetic in such a way that it will attract all metal tools in its vicinity. These tools will then fly across the garage to fulfill their sole purpose of existence: to dent your bodywork. Trust me on this one...

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by magnusfeuer
      A hint is that you duct tape protective cardboard over the aluminum skin before you do anything else.
      Caterham aluminum, as long as it is in your garage, is magnetic in such a way that it will attract all metal tools in its vicinity. These tools will then fly across the garage to fulfill their sole purpose of existence: to dent your bodywork. Trust me on this one...

/Magnus F.
      Magnus,
      I have watched Rich Kamp building a car and he also covered the body with some protection. You can bet that I will or I'll have "stone chips" all over the body before it even sees daylight out of the garage. Good tip.

I think the majority of the weight of the large crate with the body/frame will be the crate itself. But that's the way it will arrive by truck so I'll have to deal with it. A little ingenuity should go a long way to getting it on the ground and, then, no problem.

Three of us carried the engine and trans. out of my Rav4 in which I picked it up in Denver. It's heavy and I will definitely be using a hoist to put it in the car. I will have to start reading some of the build pages on the web as they often have some good hints. I'm happy I ordered the car as early as I did so I will be on the road early next year. Jan 3rd I will be waiting at the DMV to get my SB100 number. Not going to take any chances of them running out.

Comment

Working...
      X